Get Hyperlink’s Space Information

• Get Hyperlink’s Space Information

Posted by John Park on September 28, 2024 at 1:14 pm

Most of my takeoffs are done on the elevation drawings, with each space named as elevation callout (drawing #/sheet #). Each elevation space is hyperlink back to the corresponding elevation callout on the floor plan. See the attached “hyperlink” drawing, which shows floor plan in the left pane and the linked elevation drawing in the right pane. As you can see in the Markup List window at the bottom, the hyperlink is not included.

Currently, I’m placing a “link” markup with the targeted elevation as the comments value to capture the space information. I would like to eliminate this extra step by capturing the space information of a hyperlink placed on the floor plan directly?

Any ideas?

Doug McLean replied 2 weeks, 6 days ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    September 30, 2024 at 2:34 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Looking at the images, I’m not completely sure I understand…

It looks like you created a link to the Space around the elevation view. You then added the link information to the markup comments on the plan.

The better workflow is to create the Space the same way you did by naming it specifically according to the elevation. Then go back to the plan, right-click the elevation highlight, and select Edit Action. In the Edit Action window, select “Jump to” and select the document where the elevation lives. Next, go to the pulldown menu next to spaces and select the elevation space. Now when you click the highlight tag it will bring you to that Space.

I’m not 100% sure I understood the question, but I hope this helped.

• John Park

October 1, 2024 at 11:16 pm

Hi Troy,

Thanks for responding to my question.

My workflow aims to not only create a link for easy navigation but also to perform takeoffs from elevation drawings, incorporating the location hierarchy from the floor plan, especially when dealing with multiple rooms sharing a common elevation drawing.

What you suggested is what I’m currently doing, but I’m trying to improve it by eliminating the tedious extra step of creating link markups. Sometimes, I mistype space names, which breaks the intended link.

If I were to use a hyperlink from the Space Panel to designate the action destination, I noticed that the hyperlink placed on the drawing includes the space name along with its X and Y positions (see the cloud area in the right panel in hyperlink.pdf). Since a hyperlink is not a markup, the Markups List does not show them. However, if I can export the Bluebeam space list with name, page index, X & Y coordinates, and boundary, I should be able to write a custom program to connect each hyperlink with the spaces that contain it. This would allow me to link the location hierarchy with elevation takeoffs without the extra step of creating link markup.

I hope this clarifies my approach and the reason for wanting to export the space list.

Thanks again,

John

• Doug McLean

October 2, 2024 at 1:48 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Blue Belt IIII

I accomplish this by doing a layered Space of Floor-Room-Elevation.
      Then I drop a tool in the Elevation Space that is the Millwork Callout, i.e. MW 01.

Then on the elevation drawings, I create another Space labeled MW 01, which I do all my takeoff in.

While they don’t hyperlink together, in most cases the elevation callout does serve as a hyperlink to the elevation.

Later, I can tie everything back together in Excel using the Millwork Callout and the corresponding Space.

• John Park

October 2, 2024 at 11:38 pm

Hi Doug,

I’m not clear where you are placing Millwork Callout, ie MW 01. On nested space from plan drawing?

• Doug McLean

October 3, 2024 at 9:22 am

its just a Text box tool placed in the elevation pat of the Space.
          This is how they look once complete.

You could add the hyperlink to the Millwork Callout instead of just a blank box

• Doug McLean

October 2, 2024 at 1:14 pm

the Hyperlink off a Space needs to be fixed. In a word its clunky.

Troy has the workflow pretty well laid out, its just too manual for my liking