New Suggestion – Choose which markups to apply custom formulas.

• New Suggestion – Choose which markups to apply custom formulas.

Posted by Troy DeGroot on March 27, 2024 at 7:07 pm

Alright Guys, I said I wanted to be better about making suggestions for features to Bluebeam. Here it goes, what do you think?

I would love it if we could double-click in a custom formula column field and choose NA (not applicable). I build a lot of custom tools with a lot of custom columns. Here is the scenario:

• I have a PolyLength tool with a custom column formula reporting the volume of concrete.

• I have another PolyLength tool to calculate the quantity of blocks in a masonry wall.

• I create another PolyLength tool to calculate the number of studs in a wood-framed wall.

• Each of these has a unique custom column with a unique custom formula.

When I draw the PolyLength for the concrete footing, it also wants to report the Stud Count and Masonry Blocks in those respective columns.

When you create a custom column with a formula it applies to ALL markups whether it’s relevant or not.

After drawing the concrete measurement, I would like to select NA for the Masonry and Stud markups so they don’t report quantities and confuse users. We also have an issue where total masonry blocks would be incorrect because they showed up on a Stud Count tool.

Another solution might be when building the formula, to have it only apply to certain Subjects, similar to custom choices. but it would have to be a list, not just one Subject.

As it sits now, it either quantifies unrelated markups, or it’s blank leaving a user confused as well. I’d like to select NA so every row and column has data, it’s either accurate, requested data or NA. This would also be extremely helpful when exporting data, currently, many cells have fake information.

Hope this makes sense, please contact me if you want to run through an example and talk it through.

Troy DeGroot replied 1 week, 6 days ago 7 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Doug McLean

March 27, 2024 at 9:14 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

If Bluebeam would add a simple IF function, this would all be possible.

As it stands now, you have to export the data to Excel or Google Sheets to do that.

• Vince French

March 28, 2024 at 1:33 am

A very simply If function would solve a lot of issues!

• David Cutler

March 28, 2024 at 7:59 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

I’ve been thinking for a while @troy-degroot that it would nice to have “tool based” formulas, rather than “column based” formulas.

For now you might consider adding an additional column that would provide a “binary” yes/no option. Simply enter “1” for yes or “0” for no and add that Y/N column to your formula. You will end up with “0” values, but that is probably a better option than having to deduct incorrect values.

As @Doug McLean we shouldn’t have to do work arounds, but until they add the functionality we need to make the tools that we have work. 🙂

• Doug McLean

March 28, 2024 at 8:42 am

I think you’d still need that conditional function

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    March 28, 2024 at 9:54 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

I would hesitate to add another custom column, I already have 29. 🙃

• David Cutler

March 28, 2024 at 2:53 pm

What’s a few extra columns between friends?

Realistically you wouldn’t need to display the column in the markups list – just set it, hide it and forget it.

• David Cutler

March 29, 2024 at 8:59 am

Do any of your custom columns need to be set for your current calculations? Say wall width for example. When you are measuring to capture your wall stud count you could set the wall width in the calculation that takes off concrete to “0”. This could have the same net result of a y/n, using the columns that you already have.

• Don Walke

March 28, 2024 at 10:12 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

It’s a simple fix. For example, for your concrete takeoff custom column, add another custom column ahead of the formula column with a choice Yes or No. Assign a value of 1 to the Yes and 0 to the No. Name the column “Continuous Footing Y-N” and add to your formula the modifier ” * [Continuous Footing Y-N] “

If you choose “Y” the column will include the results of the formula and if you choose “N” the results will be zero.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      March 28, 2024 at 5:13 pm

Those are good ideas, but I’ve already made it complicated enough for the customer. Lots of hidden columns already and I’m avoiding a Y/N column for 15 different materials. I’d add an image, but I would need a wide screen to see them all. 😜

• Don Walke

March 28, 2024 at 9:37 pm

I hear you. I’m pushing 80 custom columns on one profile for painting take-offs. I use the technique quite a bit and on a lot of the Y_N columns I add in a D with a (-)1 assigned. I use it to deduct length of baseboard and wall area when taking off an interior door. I like not having to manipulating the numbers much in a spreadsheet.

• Vince French

March 29, 2024 at 4:01 am

Wow that’s a lot of columns between you guys! My largest set up is for measuring sewers and has about 30 columns. My setup for measuring Brickwork and Scaffolding is 17 columns wide of which only 3 are custom columns for allocating the works to different stages e.g. 1st lift, 2nd lift, etc..

• Doug McLean

March 29, 2024 at 11:20 am

That all…. mine is 43….lol

I keep telling you guys there are just too many options in Millwork 🤣

• Don Walke

March 29, 2024 at 8:16 am

What I really would like to see is to have the ability to assign some sort of designator to a polyline or area markup. Let’s call it “PolylineA”, “PolylineB” and “PolylineC” which would translate into “LengthA”, “LengthB” and “LengthC” which you could use in your formulas so a custom column with a formula that referenced “LengthA” would generate a result only if the markup used was “PolylineA”.

• Doug McLean

March 29, 2024 at 11:21 am

I can do that very easily in Excel.

Its just an XLOOKUP function

• Don Walke

March 29, 2024 at 4:41 pm

Yes, definitely a lot of functionality with Excel. The point was to accomplish all of the number manipulation up to a summary csv export. That is the point where the pricing is applied.

• Vince French

March 31, 2024 at 2:08 am

Is there any reason for all the manipulation being done in Revu if the pricing is being done in Excel?

• Isaac Harned

April 3, 2024 at 9:01 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

OK, I may be thinking incorrectly about this, but what about unchecking the “Include in totals”? Also I know there is some kind of trick with the choice columns to make it only appear when the subjects match between active markup and the choice item although I don’t usually go deep enough in workflows to test that properly.

• John Park

April 10, 2024 at 11:55 pm

I recently implemented a work around with having too many custom columns shown to the end user.

I have a total of 60+ custom columns and growing; covering takeoff items for division 6 and 12 such as casework, countertops, trims, panels, diewall, lab furniture’s, etc.

From a master list of custom columns, I created a sub custom columns for each type of takeoff desired and save them via custom column export. I then wrote scripts to import sub custom columns. For extra easy of use, I created a button on the toolbar for each group of custom columns as well the one for all. See attached.

The user can select only columns relevant to type of takeoff at hand by clicking desired button in the toolbar. Since this is a simple mask, all my custom tools are modified to have a set default column values (0 or N/A) when not shown.

I have a custom program to process CSV summary report for import into a separate estimating program, Takeoff2. No more double entry after Bluebeam markup!

• Doug McLean

April 11, 2024 at 11:58 am

Hey John

You and I should talk more…. its been a while since we last did.

I also use Takeoff and have developed an entire workflow to process Revu Markups for direct import into Takeoff (I just wish Axel would make it so that we can do it all at once rather than by room)

• John Park

April 11, 2024 at 11:50 pm

Hi Doug,

Yes, it’s been a while…

For some unknown reason Axle won’t release the location import functionality he has. I’ve given up pestering him though.

I was able to write directly to Takeoff2 Location table, but decided it wasn’t necessary for my workflow. Now I use Takeoff2 as a simple pricing engine without bothering with location information.

I created a grid control as a hub to import Bluebeam CSV summary file, with location information extracted from Space column. I filter items needing prices from Takeoff2 to create an export file in proper Takeoff2 format without the location information. Within Takeoff2, I import the file to a single location. I apply various project parameters such as material and hardware to arrive at proper sales price. Then I export all with just id and sales price back to my program for price update only. I can easily filter, group, sort and calculate summary values to create desired views, including location hierarchy that’s typically created within Takeoff2.

Additionally, I can send the same Bluebeam data, with additional positional information, to Autocad to automate shop drawings. Quite bit of programming with Autocad Visual Basic, but was able to prove the concept.

Now I’m back to studying Bluebeam’s inner working to make takeoff easier and faster.

If you like, I can demo what I have.

• Doug McLean

April 12, 2024 at 9:54 am

Axel is a little odd like that. Sometimes its tough enough just to get ahold of him.

That workflow sounds really interesting. We should set up a Teams meeting. I can include my whole team on that so we can all see it in action.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      April 15, 2024 at 3:24 pm

I like the idea of multiple custom column files, I guess nobody said all the columns must be in the same custom column file… Good one!