Can two people edit the same drawing at the same time w/o using Studio Session

• Can two people edit the same drawing at the same time w/o using Studio Session

Posted by Rick Nimtz on February 20, 2024 at 11:03 am

Two of our designers are working on a document at the same time. Using Studio they can see, markup, but of course can’t edit markups that are not theirs.

They’ve tried using a shared Google Doc where both people work on the same doc. The problem is: Joe makes a markup. Colin can’t see the change until the doc is saved by Joe then Colin closes then opens the doc. It works but is very cumbersome. Is there a better way for multiple people to see, and edit all markups?

David Cutler replied 2 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Isaac Harned

February 20, 2024 at 11:16 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

Not in studio that I know of, not actively like that. Projects has the check in, check out but that’s the best it gets in terms of editing others’ markups. Another solution is to use statuses to indicate which markups should be revised, but there are better experts than me on that.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    February 20, 2024 at 11:35 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Just like @isaac-harned says, there is no way to edit someone else’s markups in a Session. The Check-Out / Check-In in a Studio Project is the same as the Google workflow you laid out. One suggestion is to Right-click Reply to the existing markup to communicate with the original person. After discussion, they may update their own markup. Or create a new markup, so both users can compare and pick the best option to apply to the CAD/Modeling file. Maybe you create a status to tell the technician when the markups are ready to be applied so they don’t make the changes too quickly. Great questions @rick-nimtz thanks for being here!

• Rick Nimtz

February 20, 2024 at 11:46 am

Thanks for the confirmation that we can’t do this in Revu. It seemed too good to be true.

The project is an Audio Visual System design. The equipment blocks are created, the discussion concerns how they get connected, signal flow, and that happy stuff. I suggested they put the blocks on a platform that permits simultaneous edits. Then once the concept is done, do a real drawing.

• David Cutler

February 20, 2024 at 11:59 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Welcome to the Brainery @rick-nimtz !

In a presentation last week I saw where a team used a Zoom Whiteboard to collaborate on. They would post the PDF on the whiteboard (not exactly sure how you do this) and then mark it up – I believe with a stylist of some sort. Once they were in agreement they would edit the source document. Might be worth considering.