Layers Templates

• Layers Templates

Posted by Roye Arie on June 28, 2024 at 7:55 am

I think it’s a pretty silly question, but is there a way to create a ‘layer template’ that could be deployed/imported to a PDF?

For example, part of my workflow is to create overlays of buildings, so when reviewing precast, wall panels, trusses I can quickly turn layers on/off as needed. Since I have different categories, and child layers it would save me a lot of time if I could have my layer structure preset just to bring in to the file.

Doug McLean replied 2 months, 1 week ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Carl Wegman

June 28, 2024 at 8:08 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt II UC2 Brainery White Belt II

I created a one page document with the layers I desired and a few custom columns. Call it “template.pdf”

The procedure is to open “template.pdf”; add the other document(s) after page 1 (UN-click Merge Layers), save with an appropriate name, then delete page 1, save again.

You will end up with a document with the desired layers.

• Doug McLean

June 28, 2024 at 8:15 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Blue Belt IIII

no silly questions

Yes, this is possible.
    Make a blank page with your layers on it, and put something on each layer to make it active.

The you can insert it into your document and they layers will come over.
    Then you can delete your template page.

You can do the same thing with Statuses.

• Margaret Collins

June 28, 2024 at 8:19 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt III UC2 Brainery White Belt III

I have a script for this that someone from Bluebeam created for us in maybe 2017 that I use daily.

InsertPages(0,”C:\FILEPATH\FILENAME.pdf”, false, false, true, true, false)

PageDelete(1)

The FILEPATH\FILENAME in would be changed to the location & filename of a one page (blank) template document that has the layers (& optionally custom columns) that I want applied. I added a shortcut to my tool bar & can do this in one click.

More on how to add a script:

https://support.bluebeam.com/online-help/revu20/Content/RevuHelp/Menus/Document/Script/Using-Scripts.htm

• David Cutler

June 28, 2024 at 8:23 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Great question @Roye !

I’ve done something similar to @carlwegman – I have an “BSD Standard Items” sheet that I keep pinned to my file access panel. This file includes items that we include in every estimate such as Supervision, Layout, Mobilization, Test Pits, Etc., along with my standard layers. When I’m ready to start a new takeoff I add this sheet to my drawing package and have all of my standard layers ready to go. I don’t delete the sheet though as I want to ensure the standard items end up in my markups list export.

• Roye Arie

June 28, 2024 at 8:48 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt UC2 Brainery Orange Belt Rank

Thank you all for the suggestions! Very helpful and I know it will be a huge time saver!

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    June 28, 2024 at 10:04 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II

@Roye we built this exact script in the first Tool Building Workshop a while back. It’s super easy, and @margaretc gave the basic script to work from. I build the same thing to insert layers, statues, and custom columns before I upload to a studio session.

Here is the recording: https://uchapter2.com/bluebeam-training-video/premium-workshop-import-layers-button/

• Doug McLean

June 28, 2024 at 2:47 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Blue Belt IIII

I had forgotten about using a macro to do this.

This is what happens when you’re old I guess 🤣