User Generated tools that Scale to the sheet they are placed on.

• User Generated tools that Scale to the sheet they are placed on.

Posted by Brooke Shadburne on September 21, 2023 at 12:15 pm

Hey all,

This is my first time posting, so please forgive any fopaux.

I work for a mass timber installer and we work with all sorts of cranes during the install. We are constantly working on creating crane plans for the General Contractor.

My goal is to create a custom toolbox of all the common cranes we use showing the footprint and various radii of that crane. I was using the radius tool for this, but when placed on a sheet the shape of it supersedes the dimension given when the tool was created. For example: on a sheet that has a scale of 100′ to 1″ the radius will read 30′, but when the radius is placed on a sheet that has a scale of 200′ to 1″ the radius will keep its shape and read 60′.

My question: Is there a way to lock the dimension for the tool so the size of the radius will change to the scale of the page it is placed on, or is there a better tool to meet the need we are having

Thanks for your time,

David Cutler replied 7 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • David Spergel

September 21, 2023 at 12:25 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt I UC2 Brainery White Belt I

HI Brooke,

If you click the properties gear to the right of the name of the tool set, you can select “Set Scale” which will prompt you to define the scale for the tools in that particular tool set.

• Brooke Shadburne

September 21, 2023 at 12:41 pm

Thanks David!

• David Cutler

September 21, 2023 at 1:13 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Great first post @brooke-shadburne !

@dsperg has you on the right track.

If you want to take it a step further try taking a snapshot of the range diagram from your equipment data. Paste this onto a PDF that has the scale set and stretch the snapshot until it is also to scale. Next add this to your toolbox with the scaling option set as David has suggested. Depending upon the original image you should now have a scaled version of the manufactures radius diagram for your use.

Extra bonus – Take a snapshot of the footprint of the crane and repeat the above procedure. This will allow you to see how the outriggers fit on site too.

Keep us up to date on how this works out for you.