Working with Blue Beam in One Drive / Sharepoint

• Working with Blue Beam in One Drive / Sharepoint

Posted by Delmar Binkley on September 4, 2024 at 2:02 pm

My question is…….if I set Blue Beam as my default PDF program, and then double-click on a PDF file that is on my computer (the file is in a synced SharePoint folder on my computer hard drive) will this file be “checked-out” so that other users that have access to this folder will know that and not unknowingly open the file and create a different set of edits that won’t be merged with what I am doing?

I know you can access Sharepoint from within Blue Beam and then the file would be “checked-out” but I’m wondering what happens when I double-click on a file in Windows Explorer synced Sharepoint folder.

Isaac Harned replied 6 days, 20 hours ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Doug McLean

September 5, 2024 at 11:01 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Blue Belt IIII

In a word, yes.

My team works in SharePoint. We do tend to work on individual projects, however, when we do collaborate we have to do a couple of things differently.

The first thing you’ll need to do is go into your preferences and set up your SharePoint server, Revu> Interface>File Access and then add your SharePoint server to your list. Also on this page is a line that says “Open and save files to DMS from toolbar only” make sure this is unchecked. Now go to the Studio menu, under options select Attempt to Check Out Files on Open. Click OK.
    The next thing I would suggest you do is add then Document Management Toolbar to your UI. From this you can open files directly.

The next couple of steps are important. Do not open files from Windows File Explorer, open them with Revu or through the new toolbar. You’ll get a slightly different dialog box that will pop up, open the file from there.

From this point forward, its pretty much like working in a Studio Project. When you open a file, it will be “Checked out” like it is in Studio. You’ll also have to check it back in or update the server copy like you would if you were in a project. If you open the file through File Explorer, Revu actually puts that in a temp folder under your user name, so someone else can actually have it open at the same time.

Overall the process is slightly slower than working through file Explorer, but you will lock out anyone else from having the drawings open.

Hope this helps.

• Vince

September 6, 2024 at 1:54 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt III UC2 Brainery Blue Belt III

I’ll be coming to you @Doug McLean if I ever need to do something with Sharepoint!!!

• Isaac Harned

September 6, 2024 at 1:33 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt II UC2 Brainery Purple Belt II

I am curious Doug, on PDF usage on sharepoint in relation to storage. You have some massive PDF’s, does your storage balloon with the versioning?

• Doug McLean

September 6, 2024 at 2:08 pm

It did actually.
      Our IT department ran a check recently and noticed that we were near max on our storage capacity. We had 900GB used out of the 1000GB just in version history alone…lol.

He set a max copy limit to 50 and a max days limit to 180. Cleared the problem right up.

• Isaac Harned

September 6, 2024 at 5:08 pm

Thank you, that helps alot, we are slowly transitioning, and talks have turned to moving our entire server, makes me nervous

• Doug McLean

September 7, 2024 at 1:23 pm

the really nice thing is no more VPN.
          SharePoint is so much faster than working over a VPN.

Just really mind the steps I mentioned earlier for locking out a file. That’s important.

• Isaac Harned

September 9, 2024 at 3:33 pm

Copy, I am also looking into the permission capabilities of sharepoint itself to set the PDF’s to a check in check out system. Technically the permissions would have to be set per folder, but as I understand it, Power Automate can handle the heavy lifting.