I’m not a Coder

Tagged: 

• I’m not a Coder

Posted by Kenneth Korp on September 6, 2024 at 7:49 am

I’m working on a Bluebeam PDF football pool challenge that seemed straightforward at first, but it’s turned out to be more complex than I anticipated. I’m not a JavaScript coder and could really use some help. If anyone is willing to take a look at the PDF, I’d appreciate some guidance on whether what I’m trying to achieve is even possible.

Thanks in advance!

Isaac Harned replied 3 days, 19 hours ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    September 9, 2024 at 9:18 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II

I’m not sure I have the expertise, but I love it when Bluebeam is used for fun stuff like this. I think it sharpens our skills and allows the software to flex once in a while. Once you get it to work, we’ll have to work together on a blog post. If you’d like, you can share the PDF here and give more details about the issue.

• Kenneth Korp

September 10, 2024 at 9:48 am

Hi Troy,

Thank you for your interest in helping me with this dilemma—I really appreciate your input!

Here’s my goal: I want to make the form easy to fill out when it’s first distributed to participants, and I’d like it to serve as a reusable template for future years.

1. Team Selection: I want to start by selecting teams from the previous year, beginning with the best teams in group #1 and working down to the worst teams in group #6.

2. Locking Teams: Once the teams are selected for each group, the person managing the poll should be able to lock in these selections so they can’t be modified.

3. Participant Selection: After the teams are locked, the form will be sent out to the participants, allowing them to choose one team from each group.

4. Dropdowns for Final Selection: At the bottom of the form, I’d like six independent dropdowns. Each dropdown will show a list generated from the initial group selections made by the poll manager, which cannot be altered.

5. Submission: After the six selections are made, there should be a button that allows the user to lock in their choices and send a new PDF with the selections to a specified email address.

Let me know your thoughts on this!

Thanks,

Kenneth

• Isaac Harned

September 10, 2024 at 9:26 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt II UC2 Brainery Purple Belt II

I’m don’t consider myself expert, but may be able to help

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    September 10, 2024 at 10:26 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II

@isaac-harned is definitely your guy for this one!

• Isaac Harned

September 10, 2024 at 6:21 pm

Ok, you were on the right track, and I see you are using Chat GPT, which will help. Most of the issue I think was that you need to populate the actual field names instead of jsut “dropdown 1” etc. Here is the conversation I am having with chat. I have most values populating into the list, except for 49rs, which is giving me some issues. Will follow up later as well as a way to lock the fields and submit via email. more than likely can get it done:

Also, make sure that “1:” through “6:” are already built as dropdowns. The call for “populateDropdown();” should be in every “Group” dropdown as an action, I prefer on mouse blur, that way it works universally on any system including iPad, but up to you.

https://chatgpt.com/share/2b41d812-6299-49d8-a417-bd6ce87f4a5f

• Isaac Harned

September 10, 2024 at 6:31 pm

Here is a simple sample for locking a form field, but I assume you will want some kind of password system, we’ll work on that:

var field = this.getField(“fieldName”);

if (field != null) {

field.readonly = true;

}

• Kenneth Korp

September 12, 2024 at 1:43 pm

I’m not sure where all the code goes, I was experimenting and not even sure where and\or how to test it.

Any thoughts

• Isaac Harned

September 12, 2024 at 4:56 pm

The large chunk of the code will be global, under “Tools/Form/JavaScript”. Then you should place the “populateDropdown();” in the Properties/Actions of each “Group” dropdown. As far as the locking for form fields, it should be it’s own button. The locking code will need some tuning, probably a Regular expression to find all the fields that start with “Group”. GPT can help you sort that out. I haven’t been able to come back to this yet, but the print and email may be a little bit difficult with normal javascript as there is not yet a way to call out to other programs for actions like that as far as I can tell. But, if everyone is using bluebeam it can be simple to add a “Script” (different from JavaScript, these are kind of like bluebeam macros, the Script Reference doc on BB website relates specifically to these, and you can find them under “Document/Scripts”). Specifically there is a pre-built “Flatten and Print” button you can add to your toolbar that can automate this and pull up the email with attachment already created.