Inspection Efficiencies

• Inspection Efficiencies

Posted by Nick Heim on November 16, 2021 at 10:33 am

Hi All,

My questions deal with upfront inspections, although the questions are similar in nature to punch listing so I thought I would place here.

As part of our reports, we create a photo appendix that numbers all photos we take, and create a photo map that corresponds to the image numbers (see attached). Currently, we use sequences (https://support.bluebeam.com/online-help/revu2017/Content/RevuHelp/03–View/01–Tabs/Tool-Chest/Sequences–MV.htm) to sequentially number the photos in the office. My questions are:

1. Does anyone have experience using sequences on BB for iPad? I am wondering if we could do this in the field as we are taking the photos. I have heard the app is not so stable.

2. Let’s say I need to have more than one color in my sequence. Is it possible to start with one color, switch to a different color, and come back to the first color – all within the same sequence?

3. Anyone have ideas on how to make this process faster? It kills me that it is so manual!

I know there is software that can pin photo locations to plan automatically, but until we get that integrated into our workflow I am looking to optimize what we can do manually.

-Nick

David Cutler replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    November 16, 2021 at 3:16 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Great place to ask this question Nick, thank you for being in the group! Let’s see if I can help out.

1. On the iPad, you will be able to place those sequences the same as what you show. You would then hold your finger on the markup to get the menu, and select Capture >From Camera and it will allow you to take the picture or video and embed it into that markup. The instability on the iPad is mostly due to wireless connectivity when working within a Studio Session. I recommend you open the drawings you need on the iPad before going out in the field and actually work offline. Once you reconnect everything will publish to the Session again.
    2. You are able to select an individual markup in the sequence and modify the color in the properties. Its not quick or easy, but you would hold your Alt key to pick the colored rectangle within the group. Then change the color in the properties panel. If different colors mean different things, I would maybe create a different tool for each color. I know this doesn’t keep the sequence going, but I would have to learn your workflow to make a better suggestion.
    3. I think you’re doing this correctly, maybe we could build some additional efficiencies, it’s hard to tell. Have you looked at generating a mark-up summary for the reporting side?

I did a quick search on this site for “Punch”.

You may find some ideas in the blogs, videos and other resources listed…

https://uchapter2.com/?s=punch&bp_search=1&view=content

Bluebeam Revu Training

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    November 16, 2021 at 3:19 pm

If you have this many images attached you might also look at uploading them to Google Drive and embed the link to the specific markup. This will keep your file sizes smaller.

https://uchapter2.com/large-images-in-your-markups-or-presentations/

• Nick Heim

November 16, 2021 at 3:38 pm

Thanks Troy. I’ll give BB iOS a shot, and see how it goes on my next inspection. The rest of the firm is on Android tablets, so I am the lone wolf on an iPad!

Agreed, the quickest way I am imagining is to do the sequencing in one go, then change colors after. Is it possible to label each number within the sequence with a further divider (say A = floor , B = overhead, C = exterior) in the field to expedite changing colors while back in the office?

I would be happy to share our workflow with you, if you want to hop on a call. Could maybe even turn some of this into a blog post for the site if I find that it works out. I finally got around to watching one of the XCON recordings on inspection reporting which got me thinking about a number of different things.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      November 18, 2021 at 10:01 am

Yes, you can add a prefix when you build the sequence. I have built punch tools exactly how you’re describing. With this, you would build a separate sequence tool with a unique color, subject, and layer for floor, overhead & exterior. I would suggest having the prefix more descriptive than A, B, C more like F=Floor OH=Overhad, E=Exterior, or something along those lines so you know at a glance.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
        November 18, 2021 at 10:03 am

I may have given away too many secrets on that one, but that’s what you get in the Brainery! 🤣

• David Cutler

October 4, 2022 at 12:53 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Hi @nheim

I know this is an old post, but in case you haven’t been keeping up with the current events at Bluebeam around Revu you may want to check out their new “Bluebeam Cloud” system that is part of Revu 21. It may allow you to add photos on site from various devices more simply.

Dave