Any tips for using arc markups for takeoff?

Tagged: ,

• Any tips for using arc markups for takeoff?

Posted by David Cutler on June 2, 2021 at 2:21 pm

As a Civil Contractor much of our work includes curves – concrete curb at an intersection for example. Historically I’ve chorded the curved line segment by selecting multiple points along the curve. Nominally this works, but it takes time, even with the “snap to content” turned on and doesn’t look as crisp as I would like.

If the linework is of high enough quality I’ve used dynamic fill with a perimeter measurement. Unfortunately I rarely see drawings where the dynamic fill doesn’t blead.

My latest idea is to create straight segments and the right click on them and selecting “Convert to Arc”. This provides grips that may be manipulated to better align the markup. This works okay but I seem to be encountering an issue where the software will only allow me to move one grip in an editing selection. I then have to save the document and start again on the next grip. Not very efficient! I’m guessing I might be overpowering my computer, but I’m curious to hear if others have had this issue.

I’m also open to other ideas on how to create these curved markups.

David Cutler replied 2 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    June 3, 2021 at 7:14 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Convert to Arc is a great tool for this, but I have run into the same issue. another issue is you have to remember to draw the lines in the correct order (clockwise I believe) so the arc doesn’t invert. One thing you could try is adjusting the sensitivity on Dynamic Fill to see if you get better results.

• Doug McLean

June 7, 2021 at 12:15 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

What version are you using David?

This was a problem in Revu 2019, but it got fixed in Revu 20.
    I had it where you could move one grip, then you had to deselect the tool, and reselect it.
    Very annoying.

• David Cutler

June 8, 2021 at 6:14 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Good morning Doug. I’m using 2019 Standard version. Yet another reason to upgrade to Version 20. I was afraid I was pushing my computer too hard and overloading it.

Thank you!

Dave