Did you know?

• Did you know?

Posted by David Cutler on February 11, 2022 at 8:05 am

When I have a group of numbers to compile, from a material quote for example, I prefer to use a spreadsheet instead of a calculator. I find that I can check my work easily with this method to ensure I don’t enter the wrong number. Historically, I have then taken a screen shot or snip of the data/total and then pasted it into my PDF so that when our field team is looking at the quote they can see how I arrived at the number that I entered. Similar to an old fashioned adding machine tape.

What I discovered yesterday is that I don’t need to take a screen shot! I can simply select the data in Excel, press Ctrl-C to copy it and then right click in my PDF and select paste. No need to “snip” the information 1st!

Vince replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    February 11, 2022 at 9:32 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II

Good on David.

Also when you copy/paste text from a Word document or email, it pastes into a Text Box which is editable. I use this one all the time when I build custom tools.

• Vince

February 13, 2022 at 1:42 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

One of the things I use the pasting of numbers from Excel for is progress for valuations as I already have a spreadsheet with all of the stages on it.

I start by taking a site layout and removing many of the layers so I have something that is uncluttered as possible.

I then add the stages as close to the plots as I can get them. This is then printed on A3 so I can use my weatherproof clipboard as I walk around site.

This way I don’t have to refer to a ticksheet and then a layout as I walk around site. On one site I have four phases and two trades on each phase so things can get a bit complicated!

When I get back to the office completing the valuation on Excel takes just a few minutes.

• David Cutler

February 13, 2022 at 11:20 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Brown Belt IIII

That’s a great way to get another use out the data that you are capturing @vince !

• Vince

February 13, 2022 at 12:02 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

It certainly simplifies and speeds up the valuation process when I’m out on site @david-cutler