Reply To: Cut & Fill estimating

  • Don Walke

    Member
    August 9, 2022 at 11:48 am
    Points: 6,440
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

    I’ve done this hundreds of times as an estimator for a heavy & highway contractor using pencils and a calculator. Choose a grid, say 10′ x 10′ and create a tool such as a text box that you could input the existing grade as a value in a custom column and also the proposed grade as a value in a custom column. This markup would be added at each intersection of the grid. Another custom column with a formula could subtract the existing grade from the proposed grade and multiply by 100sf then divide by 27 to get the bank measure of the cut or fill in cubic yards. I suppose you could also sort by the result and determine the total cut (negative numbers) and fill (positive numbers) to show how much dirt is to be moved on site and if there is excess or import required. Applying specific compaction and truck measure factors and there you have it.