Reply To: How close is “close enough”?

  • Doug McLean

    Member
    November 18, 2022 at 11:45 am
    Points: 19,166
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Advanced Blue Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Advanced Blue Belt IIII

    Depends.
    Our estimating software allows for us to set a waste percentage, so in most cases we’ll just do it that way.
    But if its for something that I know I have a material limitation to, I do it in my markups. This is a great use for the Sketch to Scale markup tools and/or the alignment tools. I can lay out something evenly using a few lines and the ‘Distribute’ tools then place my markups accordingly. This way I can get an accurate sheet count as opposed to just square footage. Then when it imports into our estimating software the panel sizes are already accounted for.

    If its something like moulding, we’ll round up to the nearest length of whatever we’re shipping.