Reply To: How close is “close enough”?

  • Vince

    Member
    November 18, 2022 at 12:18 pm
    Points: 16,890
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Advanced Blue Belt I UC2 Brainery Advanced Blue Belt I

    If I’m measuring groundworks then I certainly don’t make deductions for manhole covers, etc.. If you start going into that sort of detail then I think you’d also need to start adding in extra costs for working around the manholes, temporary protection, etc..

    Things like drive areas and paving slab paths are all measured as per the drawings. The rates that we apply will allow for wastage. However, if someone designs a path at 1m wide using 0.60m wide paving slabs then we will increase the wastage factor significantly or possibly even measure the path as 1.20m wide.

    Brickwork to houses is measured with the doors and windows deducted although I do know some people that still measure this gross. My argument with that is the percentage area of openings can vary greatly – maybe between 13 and 25%. The type of bricks or blocks is the thing that can have a significant impact on the wastage allowed. Some cut very easily whereas other (e.g. concrete bricks) have a tendency to shatter when they are cut.

    Measuring roofing members is very different though. I will measure each individual rafter to the correct length then apply an allowance for cuts. The result is then rounded up to the nearest 300mm as this is the stage in which the standard lengths increase.