Reply To: How close is “close enough”?

  • David Cutler

    Member
    November 20, 2022 at 10:28 am
    Points: 34,562
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt IIII

    I like the concept of rounding each piece @troy-degroot . I think I’d want to have a total both ways (straight measurement and rounded) so I would be able to better understand the waste that is being incorporated with the rounding. One could even incorporate a simple formula to calculate the waste in each run so you could avoid “over compensating”.

    For example if you had 4 each 25 foot runs (100 lf neat length) you wouldn’t want to buy 2 each 20 ft sticks for each run (160 lf of pipe) as you would most likely have an extra 40 lf (or more) left over. At the same time I don’t know that I’d order exactly 100 lf either!

    The other example would be 4 each 35 foot runs (140 lf neat length). I don’t think my superintendent would be happy if I ordered exactly 7 sticks and told him he had to use a bunch of 5 ft cutoffs to finish the last run. Here I probably would want 2 each 20 ft sticks per run so I’d order 160 lf.

    Great discussion!