Reply To: Who wants to have some fun??

  • Vince

    Member
    February 10, 2023 at 1:02 pm
    Points: 16,890
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Advanced Blue Belt I UC2 Brainery Advanced Blue Belt I

    @David a few years ago we started a project that had gas dpc’s that were to be cut & placed in-situ. The went across the cavity wall and then dressed down 6″ of brickwork and then left with a lap across the floor for the gas membrane to be fixed to later on.

    The rolls of dpc for the external walls were 700mm wide and those on the internal party walls were 900mm wide.

    The ends of each length had to be cut in a particular way in order so when it was all folded and taped together, there were full overlaps. Internal and external corners had different cuts as did the ends of party walls, etc..

    A 700mm wide roll that is approx 60′ long costs just under £200.

    So, you can imagine that we didn’t want the guys on-site making mistakes – especially when the site consisted or nearly 500 houses.

    My answer was to make some scale examples with paper in my office.

    Once I got those to work I then went out to my garage and cut templates out of 3no 8’x4′ x 1/4″ sheets of ply. They were all numbered up with the order in which to do the cuts as well.

    When I dropped the templates off to site I think some of the men thought I was a bit mad – they ended up being grateful in the end though!