Counts Takeoff

• Counts Takeoff

Posted by Matt Hackman on September 21, 2021 at 3:20 pm

I’ve found my best practice for using the Count tool during takeoff is to always split them up and not have them merged. Is there a way to automatically have the counts be split or to save this as a default to my profile?

Troy DeGroot replied 2 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Andrew Veggian

September 21, 2021 at 7:40 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt UC2 Brainery Orange Belt Rank

If you want all of your counts to be split by default then there are not a lot of reasons to use the count tool at that point. You can simply create a markup then add it to your tool chest. Then select that tool and start dropping it onto your drawings (make sure the markup is in “Drawing Mode” and not “Properties Mode” by double-clicking it in the tool set). Now when you sort/filter your markups list it should give you a subtotal in the grouped heading. I don’t think it will give you a count value in the “Count” column, but it will give you a count value in the “Measurement” column.

• Matt Hackman

September 22, 2021 at 8:38 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt IIII

Appreciate the response. I tried it out and looks like that isn’t what I’d be looking for. I’ll continue with splitting the counts as this still allows me to total the count and various measurements added to the takeoff.

When you say “not a lot of reasons to use the count tool at that point”, what features am I losing by splitting? I was not aware of losing anything by splitting besides a more condensed markup list.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
        September 22, 2021 at 10:17 am
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

You’re not losing any features after you split them. The whole purpose of the count tool is to have items grouped and give you a total. If you split them they turn into regular markup tools. What Andrew was saying is to create a tool without the count functionality. If you have a simple markup tool and give it a Subject name when you sort the markups list by Subject by clicking on the column header, it will group all your markups by the Subject and tell you how many there are.

Often times I will have the estimators use the count tool so all the items stay grouped, but when they start to install those items, I split them, so I can change the status of each as they are completed.

I hope this makes sense, maybe I need to see it live to better understand your workflow.

• Andrew Veggian

September 22, 2021 at 11:36 am
          Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt UC2 Brainery Orange Belt Rank

Exactly Troy. The main benefit of counts is condensing the markups list by having them grouped together. If you don’t care whether or not they are condensed, then there’s not a whole lot of advantage of using the count tool.

• Vince French

September 23, 2021 at 12:48 am

As a matter on interest – what type of things are you measuring in this way?

• Matt Hackman

September 23, 2021 at 9:51 am

Really anything that’s a count item. Form corner guards to pad footings to toilet accessories to sink cutouts in countertops.

The splitting isn’t that time-consuming either, was just looking to save small percentages of time.

• Vince French

September 23, 2021 at 9:55 am

Does “Split All” work for what you need?

• Matt Hackman

September 23, 2021 at 9:59 am

Yes, that’s what I typically do. I sort by count and all then utilize Split All.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
            September 23, 2021 at 4:26 pm

It’s hard to know each situation with so many workflows and viewpoints. I have companies I go in and all their estimators are all doing their own thing, and it works. Thanks for posting Matt, I appreciate you in the group!

• David Cutler

September 24, 2021 at 7:27 am
              Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

I hear what you are saying @troydegroot but my way is sooo much more efficient than those other people! 🤣

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
              September 24, 2021 at 12:16 pm

LOL, Have a great weekend David!