Grain Direction

• Grain Direction

Posted by Doug McLean on June 17, 2023 at 9:39 am

I’m curious as to how others deal with something like grain direction in Revu.

This is something that those of us in the finishing trades have to contend with, but most trades don’t have to.

Without the ability to do a conditional statement, how do you make it understand which measurement is supposed to be which?

Vince French replied 8 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Don Walke

June 17, 2023 at 9:52 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

That will be an interesting discussion. Assuming you are more likely than not referring to veneer direction on plywood. I would personally attack this with appropriate waste factors and let the fab guys work the details.

• Doug McLean

June 17, 2023 at 10:38 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

veneer direction on plywood is a thing in the Millwork trade, however it does occasionally come up in Architectural metals as well

• Don Walke

June 17, 2023 at 11:30 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

This is interesting. I from time to time on my finishes take-off need to calculate wall paper roll counts. With some custom papers going for over $500/roll you don’t want to over buy and with the repeat on some paper being 24″ to 36″ my best solution was to take a snapshot of the paper off of the supplier’s web site, scale it and actually line up the pattern and place it on the interior elevations.

• Vince French

June 17, 2023 at 1:34 pm

Well, that takes me back @Doug!

Nothing on such a large scale as the projects that you are working on, but we used to have a similar thing when we made oak kitchens, sideboards, etc..

But back then all our cutting lists were worked out on a scrap of paper – there certainly wasn’t a computer in the workshop! 🤣

• Doug McLean

August 16, 2023 at 12:04 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

Wondering if anyone has any other insights on this?

This is actually going to be the topic of an upcoming video.
    The way I deal with this is to get the data out of Revu and into something that will allow you to transform it.

• Vince French

August 16, 2023 at 4:16 pm

My initial thoughts on this go along the lines of: –

Say you are working with 2.400×1.200m sheets with the grain running longwise and you are completing panelling with the grain running vertically.
      Firstly, I would take the length of each markup and divide it by 1.20 then round it up to the next whole number (a).
      Second, take the height and divide it by 2.40 then round this down to the previous whole number (b).
      a x b gives the number of whole sheets.
      Then with the remainder of the height, add 100mm to allow for cuts and then round this figure up to quarter sheet sizes i.e. 0.60m (c), 1.20m (d) and 1.80m (e).
      Multiply all of these by b to get the number of pieces required.

When you have all the different panels measured and calculated as above go through the following steps.

Then take the number of d pieces and divide by 2 then round up to the next whole number. Add this to the number of whole sheets.

Pair up pieces c and e to work out the next lot of whole sheets.
      Then, if there is a remainder of e pieces then add that figure to the number of whole sheets.
      However, if there is remainder for the type c pieces instead then, take this number and divide by 4 then round up to the next whole number to add to the number of whole sheets.

Hope that rambling makes sense! 😆