Pushing yourself

• Pushing yourself

Posted by Doug McLean on May 12, 2023 at 3:57 pm

I’m use to big projects.

I’ve done the Millwork estimate for 3 stadiums, 2 hospitals, a mall, multiple hotels and various other large projects, but nothing, NOTHING compares to the Millwork in a big LDS temple.

This one is actually pushing me. Making me think of different ways of doing the takeoff. It’s making me tap into a bunch of Revu’s tools so that I can do this properly, and hand it over right if we win it.

If I didn’t understand how Power Query works though… I’d be in real trouble.

Just to give you an idea on how large this thing is…. I’m at 21,000 lft of crown moulding and 9300 sqft of paneled wainscoting. There are over 300 door and cased openings. Each DOOR is probably going to be 7000 each.

Did I mention I’m not finished the takeoff yet?

There are still 3 full staircases to be taken off, each with wainscoting to the wall and the stringer, plus the newel posts and the caps.

I wont talk about the amount of columns and finials there are.

I’m so glad I have Revu and the skills that I’ve learned over the past few years.

Doug McLean replied 10 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    May 12, 2023 at 10:25 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

You’re kill’n it @Doug McLean

You’re one of the best as a result of your willingness to help others. Its good karma! 🤣🤣

• Doug McLean

May 16, 2023 at 11:07 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

Thanks Troy

Being a Journeyman, it comes with the gig. I know that teaching the next generation is part of that certification.
      My instructors at BCIT taught us that its the best Journeymen that don’t let others repeat the same mistakes.

If I can help make your job easier, even once, then I’m happy.

• David Cutler

May 14, 2023 at 2:39 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Sounds like something out of Karate Kid. Hours of “wax on, wax off” and “paint the fence” gets you ready for the “big match”. 😎

Looking forward to seeing how you have pushed the boundaries of what people think can be done with Revu and Power Query on this one @Doug McLean !

• Doug McLean

May 18, 2023 at 12:33 pm

So I just finished the Takeoff and ran a full mark-up summary.

3076 different line items.

Now bear in mind that I have a lot of these where I have two or three items taken off together (which I will have to separate in Power Query)

🤯🤯🤯

• Doug McLean

May 19, 2023 at 4:24 pm

The final tally ;
    33,115 lineal feet of various mouldings; Some of theses will be 3″ x 11″ when finished
    11,764 square feet of paneled wainscoting
    165 Custom Architectural Columns
    14572 lineal feet of door casing with 420 Corbel’s and 59 Transoms
    184 Custom Wood Doors and Frames
    350 Separate pieces of Casework
    32 Custom Millwork pieces including 3 large desks and 2 pulpits, and some custom trim with appliques.
    Mirrors, Steel frames, Quartz countertops, subtops, and other miscellaneous parts

Final tally – Supply only – +/- $15,000,000.00 USD.

• David Cutler

May 19, 2023 at 5:38 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

WOW!

That single family kitchen that you have on your list for next week is going to be pretty boring after this!

😎

• Doug McLean

May 19, 2023 at 7:38 pm

Right?!?!

• Vince French

May 20, 2023 at 3:59 am

So how much of the new stuff that you’ve learned will be used on your normal boring everyday take-offs???

• Doug McLean

May 20, 2023 at 8:06 am

A lot actually, especially when it comes to double takeoffs.

• Nic Bitting

May 22, 2023 at 7:33 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt IIII UC2 Brainery White Belt IIII

Wow Doug, I’ve estimated some massive residential millwork projects in the past ($20-$40M), but this LDS project sounds like a beast! 300 Cased openings – sheesh!

Having a solid system in place is key to working at that scale. Glad you’ve got the Bluebeam chops to make it happen. Rad.

• Doug McLean

May 25, 2023 at 6:22 pm

Its challenging for sure. It also makes you think of a different way to do things.

One of the problems with going too far outside of the box though, is that others here are nowhere close to my level, so you have to also keep it in a way that others will understand.

If we do happen to win this project, knowing how to sort the Markup Summary will be crucial to the success.

Unfortunately with this project, I had to do my takeoffs on multiple layers of plans. There were mouldings on the ceilings that had to come off the RCP’s. There was sloped wainscoting on the stairs, along with sloped handrail. Window casing had to come off elevations, where the Crown and the picture rail came off plan view. I made sure that I used Spaces to name everything the same, so that when you have to sort the data later, its really easy to see what all is in what room. Otherwise, it would be a mess.