Switching from OST to Bluebeam – Questions

• Switching from OST to Bluebeam – Questions

Posted by John on June 21, 2022 at 11:31 pm

In OST I frequently used what they call “typical areas” and “bid areas”. What is Bluebeam’s equivalent?

<font face=”inherit”>If you </font>don’t<font face=”inherit”> know what typical areas or bid areas are then maybe I can describe a use case scenario and you can help me understand how to do in </font>Bluebeam<font face=”inherit”>. </font>

<font face=”inherit”>Basically I’d like to multiply out various takeoff items assigned to a typical area by however times it occurs and assigns the multiples to various defined bid areas.</font>

For example- in ost I can set up 10 bid areas for floors 1-10. Floors 1-10 area identical. I perform takeoffs on the 1st floor only and assign those items to a typical area. Now I only have 1 page to do takeoffs on however on my summary page I can see quantities broken down individually for floors 1-10. If I ever notice an error with my takeoffs for floors 1-10 then I only have to change 1 page of takeoffs to update all floors.

My main goal in this example is having my summary page show quantities broken down by floor while only doing takeoffs on 1 page.

Do you know the terminology bluebeam used to accomplish something like this?

I’ve googled for hours lol and any point in the right direction would be soooo helpful

David Cutler replied 1 year, 1 month ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    June 24, 2022 at 11:15 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Great question @johnseidenberggmail-com thanks for joining the group.

I don’t know that I have a perfect answer, but here are some ideas.

I’ve used Spaces in the past to assign markups to a level or area of a plan, this would work if you grouped all your markups on one level and imported them onto all the other level sheets. But, I know this isn’t your goal. You would have to update each level markup if there were chances.

Another thing I’ve done is create a custom column in the markups list called “# Thus” so I can enter how many of the same assembly there are. Then create a custom column to build a formula for your “totals * # Thus” to get the grant total. Again, not the answer you’re looking for.

sorry for the late response, I hope these idea inspire some ideas. keep us posted.

• Nic Bitting

March 10, 2023 at 2:16 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt IIII UC2 Brainery White Belt IIII

Hi John,

Perhaps you’ve already found a resolution to this issue, but if not maybe this tip will help: see the attached image and description for Applying Markup to All Pages.

Sounds like its worth a shot!

• David Cutler

March 10, 2023 at 6:31 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

That’s a great suggestion @Nic_Bitting – and thank you for bringing this post up to the front. Somehow I missed the original post…

If you find later that you need to change all of the markups you should be able to sort the markups list by the subject and then delete the entire group of markups even if they are on sperate pages. Or, if something only changes on the 10th floor you could go to that sheet and remove the individual markup.

One option, building off of your technique, would be to establish a “Space” in Revu representing each floor on separate pages. This would allow @johnseidenberggmail-com to create his list takeoff list by floor.

I also like @troy-degroot ‘s suggestion to use a floor multiplier with custom columns.

Using either method I’m sure @Doug McLean could whip up a quick power query to produce a report that would work. I’d actually be surprised if he didn’t already have a great way of handling these types of situations given the nature of his work.