When to start over from scratch?

• When to start over from scratch?

Posted by David Cutler on June 17, 2021 at 7:36 am

I’m working on updating my takeoff for a subdivision. While the general arrangement of the roads has stayed the same much of the linework has “shifted” and some has been modified significantly – adding parking for example.

I’ve copied my takeoff from the previous revision and pasted it to the new file using “paste in place” (ctrl+shift+v) which gets everything close. What I’m struggling with is do I drag the control points in my current markup to match the new linework, or just start over?

Any thoughts? When do you find it is more efficient to start over vs. modify?

Troy DeGroot replied 2 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    June 17, 2021 at 1:22 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

I would try to get all the markups aligned correctly, then use Document Compare or Overlay Pages to know which markups need to be updated. I like using old markups because it’s a direct reflection of scope change justifying the change in your estimate. Also, rather than Paste–In-Place you could import the markups from the old drawing, I’m not sure if it would give different alignment results, but it’s easier and you won’t miss anything in the transfer.