3D PDFs from software other than Revit

• 3D PDFs from software other than Revit

Posted by David Cutler on February 12, 2024 at 8:11 pm

We use an earthwork analysis tool by the name of “AGTEK” to provide cut/fill analysis for our projects. Basically, the software compares the existing contours and proposed contours to calculate volumes. We currently use an outside consultant to provide this analysis as the license is expensive to maintain and the software takes a while to learn.

One of the “deliverables” our consultant provides is a “cut/fill map”. Basically it is a heat plot that shows the depths of cuts and fills on the site with different colors indicating the depths in various areas – darker reds indicate deeper cuts, darker greens indicate deeper fills. This information is typically displayed on an overlay of the site plans.

Today our consultant provided something different – a 3D view of the proposed surface – they don’t typically provide this. Got me thinking of some of the 3D PDFs that I’ve seen in presentations. From what I recall these are typically produced with Revit.

So, that brings me to my question – can other software output 3D PDFs in a format that is able to be “navigated” in Revu? Has anyone seen this done with something other than Revit?

David Cutler replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Vince French

February 13, 2024 at 2:51 am

I’m not sure about the other software @David Cutler but I did a 3-day course a couple of weeks ago looking at a 3D cut & fill package – very interesting!

• David Cutler

February 14, 2024 at 8:46 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

What is the program that you were getting trained on @Vince ? Is this an additional service that you are going to start offering to your customers?

• Vince French

February 15, 2024 at 5:13 pm

It was Trimble Business Center @David Cutler . It will be more for making adjustments to cut & fill measures that have been by others already e.g. changes in construction types, topsoil depths, etc..

• David Cutler

February 16, 2024 at 2:16 pm

I had a demo license for Trimble Business Center at one point a couple of years ago. I used the software to put together a quantity takeoff for one project – with the assistance of the sales rep. It is a very powerful program, but I couldn’t get past the price point – especially since we already have Revu licenses and I have soooo much time invested in my custom Revu tools…

• Doug McLean

February 13, 2024 at 7:04 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

to create a 3D PDF, you just need your program to output either a U3D or a IFC text file, and Revu can create them. If your software does that, you’re good.

• David Cutler

February 14, 2024 at 8:45 am

Thank you for the information @Doug McLean 🙂

Unfortunately a quick web search doesn’t indicate that the software can export a U3D or IFC file. Double unfortunately we outsource this analysis so I don’t have the software available to play with… Probably is a way to take it out of AGTEK, into another software that has the capability to generate the U3D or IFC format…