Any idea why you cannot copy “Highlight”s?

• Any idea why you cannot copy “Highlight”s?

Posted by David Cutler on December 29, 2021 at 7:48 am

I’m working to gather notes from a couple of different PDF files into one common PDF. For most of my markups this is as simple as a “CTRL-A”, “CTRL-C” (select all, copy) sequence on a page in my source document and then a “CTRL-SHIFT-V” (paste-in-place) sequence on the appropriate page in my destination document. I’ve found however that the “Highlight” markup is not able to be copied.

Has anyone run into this issue before?

Troy DeGroot replied 2 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Roye Arie

December 29, 2021 at 7:54 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt UC2 Brainery Orange Belt Rank

Hey David, are those CAD markups? Or do you know if for some reason they have security on them to prevent manipulating them?

• David Cutler

December 29, 2021 at 8:39 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Hi Roye,

The highlights were created in Revu 20 Extreme.

Dave

• Michelle Branch

December 29, 2021 at 8:17 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt Rank

I have seen this and it’s a Bluebeam thing. If the highlight is made in Pen mode you can copy it, but if it’s made in Text mode you can’t move, resize, or apparently even copy it.

• David Cutler

December 29, 2021 at 9:14 am

Thank you for the reference screenshot Michelle!

In the past I’ve used a polygon shape with the color set to yellow and the highlight option checked to highlight. I find that this is helpful when the Text Highlight is auto selecting adjoining information as this can be frustrating in it-self.

If I set this as my default Polygon I can highlight quickly – and would be able to copy them later if needed.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      December 29, 2021 at 4:28 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Great add @Michelle Branch I was thinking the same, but was on the road and you beat me to it!

If you go to Preferences > Window > Tablet, you can uncheck the “Enable Text Highlighting” if you want to turn off the abbility to highlight by selecting the text… Or just hold down your Ctrl key on a use-by-use basis.

• David Cutler

December 30, 2021 at 7:43 am

Good to know @troydegroot .

Any idea why the system is configured to not allow text highlights to be copied?

I’ve submitted adding the ability to copy text highlights as a product suggestion. Will be interesting to see what response I receive. Maybe it will show up in Revu 21.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
          January 3, 2022 at 9:07 am
          Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

I would guess the highlight is associated with the text rather than an actual markup. I agree it’s strange to work that way. Back in 2016 and older when you did Batch Hyperlink to find all the text in sections the highlights were markups. This wasn’t ideal because users didn’t want thousands of highlights mixed in with actual markups in the Markups List. When they made that fix, I’m guessing it brought this issue along with it.

If you build a Set and use Slip Sheet, it should bring everything over to the most current drawing. I know it brings the hyperlinks over, I assume it would bring these text highlights as well. Let us know if you try it.