Combining Drawings

• Combining Drawings

Posted by Vince French on July 8, 2021 at 3:02 pm

When combining drawings I’m finding any original layers are lost – is there a way to combine drawings whilst keeping all of the original information?

Vince French replied 2 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    July 8, 2021 at 3:08 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Are you combining several sheets into a combined document, or are you taking screenshots of several plans and pasting them into one large plan? Also, are you losing layers you have in markups or layers that came over from the CAD software?

• Vince French

July 9, 2021 at 12:22 am

I’m combining several drawings with layers that have been generated in CAD software – generally areas of an overall site layout. The original drawings will include layers of things like finishes, kerbs, drainage, etc.. If you look at the drawings on Bluebeam individually then you can turn the layers on and off. Once combined though then all of the layers are basically flattened in the new document.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
        July 11, 2021 at 11:59 am
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

That’s a good one Vince. I’m asked all the time how to remove layers, but you’re the first with a workflow where you are trying to figure out how to keep them. 😂

• Vince French

July 12, 2021 at 6:40 am

Well there is your very quick fix to get rid of layers. Even with a single drawing you can just combine it with another one then simply delete the one you don’t need.

Unfortunately I’m still none the wiser on how to keep the actual layers though?🤔

• David Cutler

July 12, 2021 at 8:29 am
            Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Interesting question Vince. I’m relatively new to layers so I can’t say that I’ve come across this problem myself.

How are you combining the drawings? Have you tried a simple copy/paste pages to see if that brings the layers over without corrupting them? Just a guess but if you are using a more advanced combining method there may be some sort of setting that is flattening the layers out on you.

Curious to see what others have to say on this.

Dave

• Vince French

July 12, 2021 at 11:06 am

I’m just using the “Combine” tool in Bluebeam at present. I will have a look at your suggestions about copying & pasting though. Thanks.