Conflicting custom columns

• Conflicting custom columns

Posted by David Cutler on April 22, 2022 at 9:12 am

I received a site plan package for a project from a client that has custom markup columns already in the file. Some of their columns use the same column names as my tools, but they are in different orders.

Any best practices for this? I’m just getting started in my takeoff now, so I’m glad that I saw it at the beginning, not when I’m trying to export my data.

Dave

Troy DeGroot replied 2 years ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    April 22, 2022 at 9:43 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

What do you mean they are in the wrong order? You can drag the columns in the markups list to reorder them however you need. If you would rather import your custom columns, you can do that through the Manage Columns window. You might need to open a drawing with our custom columns and export them before so you know where the file is to import. This will override the existing columns so you can use yours.

• David Cutler

April 22, 2022 at 1:44 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Thank you @troy-degroot that did the trick, and wasn’t too painful.

I guess that I will have to add “check for other custom columns/import custom columns if needed” into my workflow.

• Vince French

April 22, 2022 at 9:44 am

Hi @David Cutler – can you save a new version, flatten the drawing and just import your columns?

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      April 22, 2022 at 1:27 pm

good point @Vince if you want to remove the markup data from the previous person. Thanks for adding!

• David Cutler

April 22, 2022 at 1:46 pm

Thank you for the suggestion @Vince – in this case they only have a few “Cloud+” markups that I need to maintain. Then again if I flatten them I would have the information, but not have to work around them…

• Vince French

April 22, 2022 at 1:50 pm

@David Cutler if you want to keep their mark-ups as they are then why not save them into a new layer and then turn that off whilst doing your measuring?

• David Cutler

April 22, 2022 at 1:51 pm

That’s a great suggestion @Vince

Thank you,

Dave

• David Cutler

April 22, 2022 at 1:26 pm

I was running out to a meeting when I discovered this issue and made a quick post to start getting the community engaged. Here is a better explanation.

I have a number of custom tools built with 5 custom columns that I need to export as a .CSV for my workflow shown in the first screenshot below. These tools work great and are the foundation of my workflow.

When I started my takeoff in the customer supplied file I noticed that they also have custom columns setup (kudos to the customer to be using custom columns). The challenge is that while the data from my custom tool is being captured, it is being displayed in other columns as shown in the second screenshot below (Item number “80” shows as Phase, Description of “18” Silt Fence” shows as Floor, Unit of Measure of “LF” shows as Area).

What makes it even more interesting is that my “standard” markups that I apply when I insert my cover sheet populate correctly, but the “Phase” item is not in the standard order as shown in the 3rd screenshot below.

I’m thinking that I can go back to the original file, delete their custom columns and then import mine. Just seems to be an additional step to have to “scrub” someone else’s custom columns to use mine.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      April 25, 2022 at 7:09 pm

If you import the custom column file, it should replace all the custom columns that come from the customer’s file. In other words, you should have to delete them before you import them… 🤞🤞