File Size Phenomena

• File Size Phenomena

Posted by Roye Arie on August 20, 2021 at 10:27 am

Hey all,

Here’s a new one that happened to me. My coworker and I were working on building a layered document so we can review wall panel shops and truss shops.

My coworker attempted to bring a snapshot of the wall panels layout to the document and it bogged down Bluebeam. She tried that a couple of times, including bringing snapshots to the layout document (instead of a snapshot of the layout), and still experienced the same issue. The overall wall panels original file size was shy of 20,000kb.

Here’s where it gets weird, I printed (just) the 2 layout sheets to CutePDF and immediately noticed something was off. After a while, the file came back at 134,000kb (That’s not a typo, that’s a hundred thirty four thousand).

When we looked at the .dwg file, there was a lot of “junk” in there. Can someone explain to me how did the file size grew?

Roye Arie replied 2 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Andrew Veggian

August 20, 2021 at 11:50 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt UC2 Brainery Orange Belt Rank

I have noticed that bringing in a lot of large snapshots can definitely slow Revu down. I find this a lot when stitching drawings together, but luckily I have a fast computer to handle it.

One setting you can try playing with is in Revu>Preferences>Tools>Markup>Snapshot Resolution and set it to a lower resolution which should reduce the file size of the snapshot. You can also uncheck the box underneath it for “Take Vector Snapshots” unless you need the snapshot to have vector properties (for things like snapping). I haven’t actually tested this but I’m assuming it would help with file size.

Let us know if any of this helps.

• Doug McLean

August 21, 2021 at 10:58 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

Sometimes the file size of the photo is just too large. If you can’t reduce the filesize, try uploading it to the cloud and then putting a link to the image instead.

• Roye Arie

August 23, 2021 at 9:48 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt UC2 Brainery Orange Belt Rank

Hey Andrew and Doug. Thank you for your reply. I ended up getting into the CAD file and cleaning some stuff out of there.

I guess I was more intrigued by the fact that printing 2 pages of the file to a separate PDF inflated the file size by more than 100,000kb