Filename length

• Filename length

Posted by Doug McLean on March 1, 2023 at 5:04 pm

Does anyone know of a way to increase the maximum number of characters that can be in a file length when opening a file with the DMS toolbar?

Since I work on SharePoint, we have a whole whack of characters at the front of each filename that occasionally cause issues. These are just to get to our SharePoint site and don’t even include anything to do with the filename itself.

This really causes issues when trying to open a Set from the DMS toolbar as any file with a name that is too long, causes an error because it can’t find the file

Doug McLean replied 1 year, 1 month ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Vince French

March 2, 2023 at 12:42 am

I come across this problem all the time @Doug.

Architects and Engineers have started adding all sorts of additional details to the titles of their drawings like “Tender Issue Only”. Or if a file is downloaded from something like DocHosting then additional details are sometimes added to the name.

I’ve created a temporary folder in my Dropbox literally called “a” where I save the files to and then either combine then into a new file or start renaming them.

I think I’ve seen a couple of posts online recently about renaming files en masse but this really isn’t an option if you are then getting revisions later on.

I’ve asked the client to get the designers to adjust the length of their filenames but nothing happens.

• David Cutler

March 2, 2023 at 7:36 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

This might be a good one to engage Shirin Arnold on @troy-degroot

I know SharePoint isn’t her area of expertise, but I would imagine Dropbox has similar limiting factors.

• Doug McLean

March 2, 2023 at 10:43 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

I think the bigger problem is the part that we add at the beginning.
      It goes right back to the http:// and counts all of those as characters.

There is no issue with the name length if I open the file through Windows File Explorer, only when we open it through the DMS portal.

If we could reassign this to a relative reference, that would be great

• Isaac Harned

March 3, 2023 at 9:25 am
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

Ugh, we are about to switch to sharepoint and I know this issue will come up. We already have the issue occasionally with onedrive through file explorer, and this sounds like it will be more of an issue when they switch. Is the error handling similar to Onedrive? Alot of these files will not even pop up with an error, and we just have to know why it refuses to open.

• Doug McLean

March 3, 2023 at 9:46 am

Like I said Isaac, it only happens if you open a file from the DMS toolbar.
          I believe the character limit is 105, but don’t hold me to that.

My best suggestion is to be cognizant of it and not create a bunch of unnecessary folders in the file path.

• Doug McLean

March 28, 2023 at 4:21 pm

it seems that Bluebeam has also applied a fix for this in the first update for Revu 21.

Its #5