Hardware setup

• Hardware setup

Posted by David Cutler on June 28, 2021 at 1:35 pm

Andrew mentioned his “Ultrawide” monitor in another thread. I currently am setup with dual desktop monitors and a wall mount flatscreen for my tower at the office. I’ve gotten spoiled with the monitor setup on my desk to the point that I’ve found I can’t be productive in Revu on my laptop. What is everyone else using for displays?

How about computers? I’m using a Dell tower that was here when I took the job. Some days it’s very “laggy” for lack of a better term – especially when I launch dynamic fill. Our IT consultant switched out the hard drive for a SSD and that seems to have helped some, but this machine definitely isn’t optimized for high level Revu work. Does anyone have experience with “BIMBOX” machines? I’ve heard that they are setup for high end graphics, but the pricing is crazy high.

David Cutler replied 1 year, 7 months ago 8 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Roye Arie

June 28, 2021 at 1:51 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt UC2 Brainery Orange Belt Rank

Hey David, I personally find it interesting to find out on others’ setups.

I’m running a Surface (It’s about 4 years old now, but still run smooth). With that I’m running 2 externals (24″ each). I wish I could have a single 42″-50″. I find myself splitting the screen while doing some QC’s and I think I can gain more “real estate” by incorporating one larger screen.

• Russell Bunn

June 28, 2021 at 1:53 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt II UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt II

Hi,

My pick of machines is to move away from the towers and static desktops and across to workstation laptops. The best one I have used recently is the hp zbook 360 – https://www.hp.com/au-en/workstations/zbook-x360/index.html. Paired with a dock and multiple 22in monitors you should be good.

For the ultra wide monitors, this is a personal preference. Some people love and some not so much.

Hope that helps

Russell

• Andrew Veggian

June 28, 2021 at 2:11 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt UC2 Brainery Orange Belt Rank

Here is the monitor I have (Dell U3818DW). Combined with the Dell Display Manager it is easy to split your windows into a wide range of configurations. https://www.dell.com/mk/business/p/dell-u3818dw-monitor/pd

I use a Dell Precision 7540 workstation laptop with Intel Xeon E-2286M, Nvidia Quadro RTX 3000, and 64GB ram.

I use the Logitech MX Master 3 mouse and MX Keys keyboard.

Overall, this is a fairly expensive setup but it works great.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    June 28, 2021 at 2:54 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

I have a monster 17″ HP ZBook laptop which is great for me. Whether I’m presenting or working on the road, it’s nice to have a bigger laptop screen. At the office, I connect to a 27″, I actually couldn’t imagine bigger.

• Chad Czerwinski

June 28, 2021 at 7:43 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt II UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt II

I can relate. I can’t imagine just using a laptop screen ever again. Ha. While I was off work I bought a new Legion Tower 5i Gaming PC. It more than handles all my construction needs as well as my drone video editing. 😃 I still (only) have two 24” monitors but it is on my list to upgrade to at least two 27’s, possibly two 32’s.

• David Cutler

September 2, 2022 at 7:14 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

@Vince posted about hardware setups on LinkedIn and it reminded me about this thread. Has anyone made any updates to their setups recently?