Markups Import XML

• Markups Import XML

Posted by Jeffrey Collins on August 4, 2022 at 6:30 am

I’ve received comments from a client in an email and hoping to import them into my plans as a text markup to the page that it applies to.

I’ve looked at a few different options and had no luck. Thinking my best bet is to use the Markups Import (Ctrl+F3) tool and an XML file format. However, I haven’t been able to find what is required in the XML file for importing. I tested placing a text markup, doing an XML Summary (hoping this would be the XML format needed), and importing that XML file into a different pdf but resulted in nothing being imported.

Does this seem like a viable option or am I overlooking other possibilities? For now, I’m resorting to the brute force method of copy and paste.

David Cutler replied 1 year, 4 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • David Cutler

August 4, 2022 at 7:05 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Perhaps this is an opportunity to teach the client how to make markups directly into the PDF using Revu? Kind of a smart aleck response, but training the client might be the best long term solution. 🙂

• David Cutler

August 4, 2022 at 10:04 am

Another thought @Jeff.Collins – when evaluating sub quotes I often have to add the price of multiple components together to have a price for an assembly. My original process was to type the numbers into a spreadsheet and then take a snapshot the data with the total and paste it into the quote pdf. What I found (by accident) was that I could highlight the cells, press Cntrl-C to copy the data and then click on the quote pdf and type Cntrl-V to paste the information automatically creating an “image” markup. You can do the same with text from an email, but review automatically creates a text box when you type “Cntrl-V”. This saves the step of creating a text box and then pasting the data into it.

I’m curious to hear other’s thoughts on this as I’ve never tried importing comments they way that you’ve described.

• Vince French

August 4, 2022 at 10:11 am

I add data from Excel to my drawing as David has suggested – it’s very quick & easy!

One tip is not to zoom in & out of the drawing if you are adding multiple information otherwise you will find that the imported information will be different sizes unless the zoom factor is exactly the same each time you do some pasting.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    August 4, 2022 at 1:27 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

@Jeff.Collins are the markups you’re importing coming from Bluebeam? I haven’t tried XML exports/imports, but I will typically open the new document and go to the markups list to import from the other. I assume you’ve tried this, but wanted to add another perspective.

• David Cutler

November 28, 2022 at 7:28 am

@Jeff.Collins were you able to find a way to import these comments?