from proposed to as-builts to proposed phase

• from proposed to as-builts to proposed phase

Posted by Brad carr on May 27, 2024 at 9:00 am

We use revu to design low voltage solutions for clients, mostly data cabling, cameras, and door access. Once we win the project and deploy the design, I want to pull that drawing back up for the next project, place the new items, lets say cameras, then when it comes time for installation, have an easy way to only show the current project, while having access to the original at the same time.

maybe a custom column with a “status” but how would you tie the print layers to that?

David Cutler replied 1 month, 4 weeks ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • David Cutler

May 27, 2024 at 12:00 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Brown Belt IIII

Nice application of Revu @wirelineinc !

My initial thought would be to establish layers for the steps in your process. This makes it easy to toggle on and off the information that you want to see.

I believe that could do something similar using statuses, but I’m not as familiar with them.

• Doug McLean

May 28, 2024 at 10:53 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt III UC2 Brainery Blue Belt III

using a status would require a filter.

Layers are the better choice here

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    May 28, 2024 at 11:00 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II

I’ve done this exact workflow with other low-voltage companies and you’re on the right track. When you use Statuses you can filter the markups list to show certain statuses, however, the other ones still show greyed out. If you use layers, you will always be updating layers and possibly missing or misplaced devices. My suggestion would be a different workflow where you have an ongoing pdf that is constantly updated throughout, but you do a save as when issued so you always have a record of each step in the process to reference. You can flatten it for outside partners if needed, and use overlay to compare differences if there are questions.

The goal I discussed with those customers is that the drawings and markups evolve over time from the sales walkthrough to the as-built drawings. things get moved and updated, but they are always updated in one place to minimize rework.

This isn’t a direct answer, but I hope this helps the conversation to brainstorm a solution!

• David Cutler

May 29, 2024 at 12:22 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Brown Belt IIII

Maybe the ultimate solution is a combination of layers and statuses with copies of the file saved as issued… 🙂