QR Codes or NFC links to drawings in BB Projects?

• QR Codes or NFC links to drawings in BB Projects?

Posted by David Moorhead on June 28, 2022 at 10:58 am

Has anyone found a way to add a QR code (or NFC tag) to a BlueBeam Project PDF location that allows project members to directly pull the PDF up, or direct to a folder within the project?

** I can create QR codes ( or NFC tag) but the link will only bring you to a download a file. I cannot generate a link until the PDF if created and posted, so cart is before the horse. If I replace the PDF in the project the link breaks.

Any thoughts, Ideas, or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Troy DeGroot replied 1 year, 2 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Ken Bolen

June 28, 2022 at 11:33 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt III UC2 Brainery White Belt III

Not sure this will work, but for the older (1-D) Bar Code… it is just a Font. Maybe you can incorporate it as “text”? I do not know if that is the case for 2-D Bar Code.

• David Cutler

June 29, 2022 at 9:46 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Interesting question @kbolen16

As I start many of my replies, I’m not very familiar with QR/NFC tags. I wonder though if you could set one up that would open a Dashboard in Revu that would then contain the links to the files that you want people to access. Others on here have significant experience with Dashboards and hopefully will chime in with ideas.

Might also be helpful to know who your target end user is – specifically internal vs external – as there may be security issues and such.

• David Moorhead

June 29, 2022 at 10:34 am

These are internal users (Construction Firm) and security is not an issue, as Projects are read-only documents and are non-sensitive. I am not familiar with Dashboards yet, so will dig around through the website and learn some more about them.

Thanks for idea!

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    June 29, 2022 at 1:15 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

@mep-bim does it need to be a QR code, or can a markup or button just open the file or website? I guess I’m a little unclear on what’s needed. Can you run through the process with examples? Now you have me curious!

• Tiffani Ceniceros

February 6, 2023 at 12:53 pm

Hi David,

Did you ever figure out a way to get a QR code to open up a .pdf? I’m in what seems to be in a similar boat as you and I’m trying to figure it out!

Thanks!

• Isaac Harned

February 7, 2023 at 1:12 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

Have you guys tried going to the properties of the file in studio and grabbing the link that way? This is the closest I can seem to get, and will still open up studio to get to the file, not a browser view or anything like that.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      February 8, 2023 at 12:55 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Yes grabbing the new link path to the Studio Project is a great way. Similar to what others spoke about, a digital dashboard is just a visual representation of a folder structure and it can perform exactly like a website. The trick and I think this is your solution, is to build out the folder structure and links to documents within that structure. Then upload the entire folder structure so the paths remain relative and still work.

Many times I’ll create a template folder structure so that I have a starting point for the next project. This may or may not include a Digital Dashboard (it’s not required)