RFI Summary

Tagged: , ,

• RFI Summary

Posted by Chris Riley on November 16, 2022 at 8:16 am

I like to keep my current set of design drawings in a Session and then have everybody invited and using this one set so I don’t have to maintain multiple sets (single source of truth). I like to create RFIs with a markup which works great, using status to color code them when they have been resolved, etc. I was watching a video about Legends and thought this would be a good way to create an RFI summary as a legend and it works great if the document is not in a Session. Since Legends cannot be updated on a document that is in a session, anybody got any ideas on how I might be able to create an RFI summary?

Doug McLean replied 1 year, 5 months ago 5 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • David Cutler

November 16, 2022 at 8:20 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

This sounds like a good challenge for @lizlarsen and her Javascript tools…

• Liz Larsen

November 16, 2022 at 11:23 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

A huge limitation to JavaScript within Bluebeam is that it can’t manipulate markups.

It can manipulate form fields, along with other document properties (insert/delete pages, page labels, bookmarks, etc…)

With that limitation in mind, I’m not sure how I would solve this using JavaScript. Sorry 😕

• Chris Riley

November 20, 2022 at 11:43 am
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt Rank

Was hoping the Java Scripting would be able to open a template form, so that I could add a button for creating RFIs for the more technically challenged. Trying to make a work flow that is somewhat idiot proof for RFIs.

• Liz Larsen

November 21, 2022 at 3:10 pm
          Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

JavaScript can insert pages from another file. Would you like to do something like that?

• Chris Riley

November 21, 2022 at 5:34 pm

I have thought about that some. At one time was thinking if I had a combined document where the 1st page was my RFI Summary, and all subsequent pages were named RFI 1, 2, 3, etc. for page labels. 1) Create RFI from a form, 2) Save it with file name as RFI name, 3) Java script to e-mail it, and insert into the RFI combined document, 4) Possibly a legend on the summary page that updates on the fly (not sure if this is possible), 5) Add markup to my session of design documents at location of said RFI and use the File Attachment for attaching the RFI. (crazy that we can add attachments to Session files, but not Actions, Legends, and Links).

• Doug McLean

November 17, 2022 at 2:15 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

I personally do my RFI summaries from the RFI forms that I send out. Revu allows you to do merge data to forms which creates an Excel csv file really quickly. From there I can do whatever I need to do with it.

You could also do a markup export filtered appropriately to just your RFI markups

• Chris Riley

November 20, 2022 at 11:41 am

I think this is close to what I am looking for, although being able to keep it in a legend on my drawing document would be nice, but the document will always be in a session. Not very good with importing Data into Excel, so I guess Excel Youtube videos will be on my list of things to do.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    November 17, 2022 at 3:00 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

I like to simply use the Markups List summary. I also like to hyperlink each RFI document to the markup so they are quickly accessible from the drawing.

• Chris Riley

November 20, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Being a Structural and Miscellaneous Steel Detailer my work flow is as follows:

1. A set of Structural Design Documents, Architectural Design Documents, MEP Design Documents batch linked all in a Bluebeam Project and then added to a Session.

2. Everyone that needs to work on the project (project manager, detailers, checkers, connection engineers, etc.) gets an invite to the Session. Ideally, everyone’s markups would be assigned to their layer which would be created prior to placing the documents on the session. Obviously this takes everybody playing on the same team (herding cats!!), be nice if a persons Bluebeam Studio Display Name was added as their markups Layer by default.

3. Revised design documents show up, affected sets get pulled down at a pre-assigned time and slip sheet new drawings, migrating all markups to the newer drawings.

4. All questions/RFIs get asked thru markups on these sets of drawings on a ‘Project Management’ layer (using statuses to show if they are open/re-submitted/closed). RFIs are created using a PDF form and since we can’t link or use Legends in sessions, then using the ‘File Attachment’ placing it near the markup designating the RFI is the next best thing. Be nice to have an RFI Summary Legend (Customers sometimes ask for these) on the title drawing, maybe I can figure something out.

5. Since I use SDS2/AllPlan for modeling, connection design, detailing, CNC, etc. I have the following work flow with Tool Bags: Project Setup/Model Input (this consist of markups that designate things likes a) Top and Bottom of column elevations, b) Top and Bottom connection types, c) Special considerations, i.e. Steel Grades, etc., d) connection loads on beams and bracing left and right ends, e) Field Work section notations, etc.

6. Have ideas for model checking and 2D QC punch list work flows and we have been somewhat successful at prying physical paper away from the industry and now they are hooked on electronic paper using the old physical paper work flows (frustrating).

The goal in items 1 thru 5 is a single source of truth in real time, hopefully I will get to see it in my lifetime, but it needs to happen soon 62 in December. 😀

• David Cutler

November 20, 2022 at 10:13 pm

Lots to digest here @ChrisRiley !

Have you considered establishing custom tools for each reviewer that include their custom layer assignment?

Another option might be to filter by reviewer, select all and then assign them to the appropriate layer.

Either would get the cat’s review comments onto the proper layers.

• Chris Riley

November 21, 2022 at 7:31 am

Well, the problem comes in mainly with the modelers/detailers all contribute to getting the model and detailing done on the project, and ready for the checkers, and others on up the food chain. So one modeler/detailer would need to be able to turn off markups from other modelers/detailers. All have been using Bluebeam for quite some time and have their markup ruts well established.

• David Cutler

November 21, 2022 at 7:48 am

Understood on being stuck in the ruts @ChrisRiley – turning an organization – large or small – takes time and can be very difficult as I’m sure you are well aware. At the same time it sounds as if many of these same individuals started on paper systems and have grown to use Revu. Perhaps this is an opportunity for additional growth for them? I know that when I see an example presented by @troy-degroot , @Doug McLean , or @Vince I get inspired to see what new feature/tool I can utilize in my workflow.

• David Cutler

November 22, 2022 at 7:41 am

@ChrisRiley have you seen this previous post from @troy-degroot ?

https://uchapter2.com/brainery/civil-design/forum/topic/creating-and-tracking-rfis/

You may be able to use Troy’s suggestion of having your RFI form as a template to insert into your documents…

• Chris Riley

November 22, 2022 at 10:16 am

Yes, I have watched that and it was very helpful. I have those processes incorporated, just looking for a good way to create a Summary file or page for all RFIs on a job. Not the best at using some of the more advanced features in Bluebeam, but slowly picking up on them.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
        November 24, 2022 at 11:31 am
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

I’m not sure if this helps or not, but you could create a Delta symbol with the RFI number displayed, then add a description in the comments. this way when you do a PDF Summary, it would have all the RFI’s listed with the description. Just be sure to put them on an isolated layer so you can filter the list and summary export. Then always import the past RFI markups into the latest drawing so they’re all together. Just a thought.

• Doug McLean

November 24, 2022 at 1:33 pm
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

This is why I use Forms.
        Revu makes it very easy to export all the form data. Plus if they’re all in the same folder, you can use Merge Data and Revu will pull all the like data fields together in one simple report.