next drawing is top left

how do you deal with reading the tags?

thanks

David Cutler replied 1 year, 5 months ago 4 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Vince French

October 25, 2022 at 12:56 am

Hi @robgib0

I’ve given up trying to use sets with UK drawings.

It’s not only the location of the title block that has caused me problems but also the

– drawing titles

– how the revision letter or number is added

I’ve tried about 30 sets of drawings now and reckon that the automatically uploading of details is probably only somewhere between 10-20% accurate at best.

That just leaves entering most of the details manually which really isn’t an option when you are looking at hundreds of drawings.

• rob gibson

November 1, 2022 at 3:46 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt I UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt I

i feel your pain Vince, i think its actually getting worse too

• Doug McLean

November 1, 2022 at 11:01 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

There is no substitute for bad drawings!!

One thing you might try, but it could be time consuming, is to label them yourself.
    It can be done with Headers and Footers, but it will take some practice.
    If there are only a few that are in an odd spot, you can edit the tags before you apply them.

The Automark feature is great, but everything has to be in the same place in order for it to work. Something most people simply don’t understand because they don’t know the down stream processes.

• Vince French

November 1, 2022 at 2:11 pm

Hi @Doug – the problem I have is that I am generally looking at a minimum of 100 drawings in a set and the Automark doesn’t work on the vast majority. This just makes labelling drawings individually too time consuming.

I’m always open to looking at new ways of doing things though – so will try again when I get five minutes.

• David Cutler

November 1, 2022 at 2:51 pm
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

I like @Doug McLean ‘s idea about applying your own header/footer @Vince . You might even be able to use “Bates Numbering” to sequentially number them….

• Vince French

November 2, 2022 at 12:17 pm

I had to look that one up @David Cutler ! 😅

I’m just concerned how Revu will deal with things when revised drawings are added.

• David Cutler

November 2, 2022 at 1:32 pm

I understand completely @Vince

You could try it with a small set of drawings – or piece of a larger set of drawings. Might have to flatten the markups so that they stick.

• Doug McLean

November 3, 2022 at 10:09 am
            Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

You would have to match the tags on the updated drawings to whatever you put on the previous page

• Vince French

November 3, 2022 at 1:42 pm

This is where the problems start unfortunately.

The latest Brickwork tender that I’ve just downloaded has 802 drawings in 82 folders. There should actual be another 20 files but when I tried to unzip them, just the addition of “c:\Users\Vinic\Dropbox\” to the beginning made the file names so long that they could not be downloaded!

I can pretty much guarantee that by the construction phase of this contract starts at least 25% of the drawings will be updated.

This is so frustrating as Revu could make things so much easier to manage.

• David Cutler

November 4, 2022 at 7:26 am

“802 drawings in 82 folders.” how many structures are they building @Vince ? Sounds like an absolute document management nightmare.

Not knowing your document management strategy/file storage system could you download the 20 files that the names are too long to a local disk with a shorter file path name and then rename them to save them to your dropbox location? I’m sure you have something figured out, but I’m curious to know in case I run into a similar situation in the future…. On the bright side at least its only 20 of the 822, not 802 of them…🤣

• Vince French

November 4, 2022 at 9:14 am

The site is 241 houses along with detached garages, binstores, etc..

I don’t need all the files as they send out the drawings & specs for the entire site even though I’m only pricing the Brickwork and Scaffolding in this instance.

There was a second set of drawings sent out for the scaffolding as well!!! But fortunately, I know which additional drawings there are in that package – some standard sections for the temporary works, etc..

But I do need to download all of them before I decide which ones to delete.

I could download the 20 files to my desktop but that involves finding each one first. So, I might have to try downloading the whole lot to another folder with a very short path to it!

• David Cutler

November 7, 2022 at 11:50 am

I keep a folder on my desktop labeled “temp delete often” for the one-off use files. You could in theory run with a c:\t directory (t for temp) to get your files downloaded and still keep them in one folder.