Studio Session groups question

• Studio Session groups question

Posted by Liz Larsen on May 6, 2024 at 11:54 am

I’ve never really used the Groups feature of Studio Sessions before and I’m having trouble setting it up how I want.

I’ve successfully created a couple groups of people who I want to have special permission settings, however I can’t actually add those Groups to the Permissions window.

In the attached screenshot you can see I’ve got 2 groups, both with multiple users added to each group. When I click OK and am back in the main Session Settings dialog box, I click the green + but my only option is to add individual users to the Users/Groups list. My defined Groups are not available.

What am I doing wrong?

Troy DeGroot replied 1 week, 5 days ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Isaac Harned

May 6, 2024 at 12:34 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

Oh, you have stumbled on one of my pet peeves….

Adding groups can only be done on the “Attendees” tab, modifying groups can only be done on the “Permissions” tab.

For projects Groups are added in the “User Access” Tab

But also for quick access, use the “Add People” button to get the option to directly invite from groups pop up

• Liz Larsen

May 6, 2024 at 3:29 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

In the Attendees tab, the green + only allows me to enter email addresses and the little people icon says “you have no groups or users available”. So I still cannot figure out how to add groups.

• Liz Larsen

May 6, 2024 at 3:33 pm

Oh, I’m not the Session owner. Is that why? I have full permissions to this Session, but I did not create it.

• Isaac Harned

May 6, 2024 at 3:35 pm

Yeah that’s a weird permission, I’ll have to look but I don’t remember a “Restrict Groups” option

• Isaac Harned

May 6, 2024 at 3:41 pm

You hit the nail on the head, super annoying IMO

• Dwane Lindsey

May 6, 2024 at 1:26 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery White Belt I UC2 Brainery White Belt I

Groups kinda suck in my opinion, I’ve done permissions per user instead of using Groups. Unless something has changed recently, Groups are NOT created per Session or Project, they are for your Studio account (or something like that). So this Admin group you create with certain people in it, that Admin group will be the same group you can pick when in a different session with the same people being in that group. If different Sessions have different Admins, you’ll need to create an Admin group for each session with a different Group Name.

• Liz Larsen

May 6, 2024 at 3:34 pm

Yeah, I’m thinking I’m going to have to set them up individually 😕 Seems to defeat the purpose of having groups.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    May 7, 2024 at 10:07 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt I UC2 Brainery Brown Belt I

I’m so glad you posted this. I remember struggling with this years ago and giving up! I love you the community here brainstorms as a group, and I learn so much from you all!