Where did I put that custom tool?

• Where did I put that custom tool?

Posted by David Cutler on May 25, 2022 at 4:15 pm

I have more than 350 custom tools at this point. They are generally sorted into Tool Boxes by type of work (Water, Sewer, Storm Sewer, Paving, Etc.). I have a master list of item numbers from the estimating software that we use that I highlight as I create custom tools for that item.

Sometimes I cannot find the tool in my toolbox, even though I have it highlighted as “created” in my list. I’m confident that the tool was created as when I start entering the tool specific subject in the properties window when I start to create a new tool auto populates with the same information. While there is a chance that I created the tool, but didn’t save it to a tool box I’m pretty sure I’ve created the one in question.

Does anyone know if there is a way to search your custom toolboxes for a custom tool? I tried the “Find Tools + Commands” in the help menu, but that seems to only find “standard” Revu tools.

Vince French replied 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Doug McLean

May 25, 2022 at 9:05 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

David, you might try this.

I have a few custom tool chests that are a little generic. Each only holds a few tools. What I have is a custom column called Product that holds the different types of what is represented in the tool chest. For example, in my Casework – Wall tool chest there are only about 6 tools, but once I place that, I have about 20 specific Products associated with that markup.
    In my Custom Column data, I have the various products set to specific subjects, so only those products associated with a specific subject appear in the dropdown list.

Would something like that help you out at all?
    I know its not exactly what you’re looking for, but it does make finding stuff easier.

• Vince French

May 26, 2022 at 12:22 am

I have different profiles set-up for groundworks / civil engineering to keep things manageable – sewers, foundations, services and external works. Then there are 6 to 10 tool chests in each profile.

Only a few of the tools are in more than one profile e.g. oversites will be in foundations and external works.

I also have more profiles set-up for other trades as I do use slightly different screen layouts for some of them i.e. different tool bars showing.

It seems to work.

• David Cutler

May 26, 2022 at 7:44 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Thank you for your suggestions @Doug McLean & @Vince

Being organized with your custom tools is important. I dream of a rolling, multi drawer tool cabinet to keep all my mechanics type tools in. What I have is a 40 year old metal box with everything in it (I know that 3/8″ socket is in there somewhere). My Revu toolbox is somewhere in between. I use custom tool chest (26 at this point) and the majority of my tools have a 4 digit “item” code included in their “subject” column. As long as I take the time to sort new tools into their numerical order when I make them this works pretty well.

A couple of additional features would be helpful in the Tool Chest:

1. Ability to sort by “subject” or “label”

2. Ability to manage the columns in the Tool Chest – I don’t need to see the “Comment” column at this point. I can make it smaller, but I can’t remove it

3. Ability to search for a specific tool

One of these days I will build out the toolset completely to match our items listing for our estimating system (I don’t have item 6090 Water Main – 12″ D.I.P CL52 for example). I’ll switch all of the “perimeter” measurements to “poly-lines” (so that I can use the rise/drop feature) and I’ll get everything organized (think of the foam cutouts that have a spot for every wrench). Until then I’ll do my best to remember where I set that tool down.🙂

• Vince French

May 28, 2022 at 5:08 am

As @Doug McLean has suggested, can you narrow down your list of tools by having one main item then further options in a drop-down list in a custom column? E.g. One water main but then with the different size options?

• David Cutler

May 28, 2022 at 8:43 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

That’s a good question @Vince that I’m not sure on how to answer. I’d have to work out how to match the options that I select to the already established item numbers in our estimating software. I expect that this could be done with some sort of lookup table or power query, but frankly I’m not sure where to start with this…

• Vince French

May 29, 2022 at 1:34 am

@David Cutler I meant to have one mark-up in your tool chest for say a cast iron water main. Then in a custom column have your options in a drop-down menu i.e. different sizes along with your product code – this is the column that your pricing software would refer to instead of your current subject or label. Then use your label to identify the size on your pipe on your drawing.

No Power Query – yet!😆

• Vince French

May 29, 2022 at 1:47 am

Once you do get on to Power Query though, you should be able to have a set-up similar to my drainage one e.g. you could have a mark-up for a standard water main, then another one with a different symbol at the end to represent a gate valve.

The Subject or a custom column would be used to record these details.

Power query would then generate the necessary output details for your pricing software.