Which tool to use, polylength or perimeter?

• Which tool to use, polylength or perimeter?

Posted by David Cutler on March 1, 2022 at 6:29 am

Many of the custom tools that I use are based on tools that were established by one of my predecessors. The majority are “Perimeter” measurement types. One of my frustrations with these “Perimeter” measurements is that they don’t allow you to enter a “Rise/Drop” value.

Are there other differences between these tools that I’m not seeing?

Should I be converting these “Perimeter” tools to “Polylength” tools as I update them?

Vince French replied 2 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Vince French

March 1, 2022 at 7:53 am

@david-cutler I haven’t seen any differences between the two of them but that makes me wonder why would they then bother have the two separate tools?

With regards changing your existing tools, can you use a custom column for the rise / drop?

• David Cutler

March 1, 2022 at 9:33 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Something I find interesting @vince is that the “Perimeter” tool doesn’t show in my left toolbar. This may just be a setting, but it makes me think that “Polyline” is the preferred tool.

Using a separate column for rise/drop is an interesting idea. I’m considering a major custom column overhaul of my markup tools before too long. I’ll have to add that to my potential list of upgrades…

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
        March 1, 2022 at 9:58 am
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

They hid the Perimeter tool under the Polylength tool. I actually had to check on this one, only to be disappointed… Y

es, you heard me correct. In 2017 they added the PolyLength tool and introduced the ability to add Rise/Drop. To differentiate PolyLength from Perimeter, I was hoping Slope would be available on the Perimeter tool to have a use case for each. 👎

On area measurements you can have a slope or a depth, but not both. I was hoping we could do the same with the linear footage. Otherwise, I don’t remember any difference.

• Vince French

March 1, 2022 at 10:54 am

Same here which makes me wonder how most of my tools have been set using “perimeter” instead of “polyline”?

• Doug McLean

March 1, 2022 at 11:04 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

One other difference is that the Perimeter tool can be dragged to a rectangle, while the Polylength tool cannot.

• David Cutler

March 4, 2022 at 7:17 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Thank you for mentioning that @Doug McLean . Unfortunately in the Civil Construction world that I work in we rarely have rectangular shapes that align perfectly with the pdf sheets. I thought that Perimeter might “close” by double clicking on the 3rd point or hitting enter similar to the way the area tool does, but that doesn’t seem to be the case on the Perimeter tool…

• Vince French

March 5, 2022 at 12:44 am

@David Cutler I totally agree about the civil construction aspect however, I can also confirm that when it comes to structural works (building footprints, etc.) then the perimeter tool can definitely be used to speed things up.