Anyone using Bluebeam Cloud for Punchwalks?

• Anyone using Bluebeam Cloud for Punchwalks?

Posted by David Cutler on July 31, 2023 at 7:55 pm

Bluebeam has been talking about their “Locate Me” functionality with the Cloud version for a while now. Anyone out there using this feature?

David Cutler replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    August 1, 2023 at 10:42 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

I haven’t run into anyone yet. I played around with it a while back for a basic presentation. It’s pretty basic at the moment, but they are putting a lot of effort into development and listening to users. I hope they’re getting the feedback they need.

I would love to hear stories if anyone has one to share.

• Travis Shupe

March 4, 2024 at 11:43 am

Hi David,

Our team has started using the Punch tool in Bluebeam cloud for some projects. There are aspects that we really like, and there are aspects that we don’t! As Troy said, it is fairly basic, and there really isn’t much customization. For instance, there isn’t even a space to include a company logo on the reports. We’ve developed a stamp that we apply to the PDF report before we send it out that creates a bit of a header with our logo, project name, date, etc.

From what I’ve seen, there are a few other tools on the market that handle Punch Lists much better… but those come at a premium. We are hoping Bluebeam continues to innovate and build on this tool!!

I will say, we’ve run into a handful of issues since using it (about 4 months now). The one issue that is still unresolved is related to the snapshots it creates on the PDF report. Each ‘punch’ is a separate page of the PDF with a small snip of the overall plan where the punch was created. You used to be able to click on that snip, and it would take you to the drawing page so you can reference where that punch is. At some point, this functionality was broken, and I have yet to hear back from Bluebeam on a resolution.

Happy to chat further if you have additional questions!

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Welcome to the community @tshupe

Bluebeam is definitely working on improving Cloud, I hope it gets to the point of Revu in the Cloud on any device. But that’s a way out. Was the Snapshot image part of Cloud or are you talking about a PDF summary in Revu where you can click and have it go directly to the markup? I haven’t played with Cloud enough (and it’s been a long time) to know if you could do that or not.

• Travis Shupe

March 13, 2024 at 9:02 am

Thanks Troy! Glad to be here!

The snapshot view was part of the PDF summary when you ‘export to PDF’. It basically created view links that would snap you to a specific part of the overall drawing. I’m attaching a screenshot from an old Punch Report – you can see the ‘5 (Snapshot View) link that is attached to this image – when you click it, it takes you to the overall plan where the punch was created. I just re-generated this same report from Bluebeam Cloud, and you can see the hyperlink that is now replacing the Snapshot View. When you click the hyperlink, it opens a new blank document/tab in Bluebeam.

• David Cutler

March 5, 2024 at 9:46 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Welcome to the Brainery @tshupe !

Thank you for sharing some of your team’s experience with Bluebeam Cloud. I too hope that the functionality will improve over time based upon the limited war stories that I have heard.

A few follow up questions:

– What industry are you in?

– Are you using the “Locate Me” feature in your punch markings?

• Travis Shupe

March 13, 2024 at 9:03 am

Hi David,

I am a Lighting Designer. I’m not sure what you mean by the ‘Locate Me’ feature…. can you explain a little further?

• David Cutler

March 15, 2024 at 10:52 am
          Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

As I understand it (last presentation I saw about Cloud was months ago) “locate me” ties your PDF to a map image.

From Bluebeams website:

“Using the Bluebeam Cloud mobile app, you’ll be able to utilize satellite and street maps to contextualize your drawings. This will help improve project efficiency and streamline basic workflows, whether by finding nearby punch items based on geolocation, or visualizing multiple drawings simultaneously using the Layers List.”

I haven’t tried any of this yet – I rarely get out of the office these days…

Source: https://support.bluebeam.com/articles/bluebeam-cloud-visualizing-data-using-maps/#:~:text=Locate%20Me%20functionality&text=Simply%20tap%20the%20Locate%20Me,screen%20and%20select%20Hide%20marker.