Punch Process at the Start of a Project

• Punch Process at the Start of a Project

Posted by Doug McLean on August 20, 2021 at 4:52 pm

A while back, it more or less dawned on me that the very beginning of generating an Estimate is essentially a Punch List.
    You should try using these processes at the beginning, it works well.
    Anyone else doing this?

Doug McLean replied 2 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    August 23, 2021 at 3:10 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

I’ve always thought the same. By marking all the elements you’re estimating, you now have an installation checklist and items to make notes on damage or installation problems (punch). One of the first things I try to incorporate with customers is how everyone else in the lifecycle of their projects could possibly benefit. How can we build systems for everyone from start to finish so we don’t redo the markups 4x
    Great thinking in your millwork case for sure! Now you just need to get your field team on Revu. I know a guy who would love to come out and train them, and maybe have some of those ribs you grilled up and shared on LinkedIn!

• Doug McLean

August 27, 2021 at 5:22 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

well, you can come to Canada, we just can’t drive across to the US right now (we can fly in though 🤷‍♂️)
      I’d LOVE to get our Field teams on board, its hard enough to get some of our PM’s off those dreaded Legacy Workflows

• David Cutler

August 24, 2021 at 7:14 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

I have a “Cutler Takeoff Notes” workbook in Excel that I use for every project. I typically start with a copy from a previous estimate. This has my checklist for what sub/suppliers that I need to contact and multiple calculation sheets that I use for various details, stone summaries, earthwork calculations, etc. I don’t use every tab in every estimate, but it saves me from starting from scratch each time.

On the Revu side I have started to use an “Estimate Cover Sheet” that includes my standard estimate items (and ones that I historically have forgotten to add in). This brings my Mobilization, Supervision, Layout, Testing, Portable Toilets, etc into every estimate with a simple page insert. The cover sheet is a work in progress. I’m anticipating adding standard layers and other standard items to it in the future.

• Doug McLean

August 27, 2021 at 5:25 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

You can do that in Electrical, its really hard to make a template for that stuff in the Finishing trades because Architects cant come up with a consistent naming structure.
      I can have WD-1 or W1 or W-1 or WWP-1 or almost any combination you can think of.

Plus our GC’s prefer to see things by room, which is where Spaces comes in. That just makes setting up a QL link tricky and time consuming when you only have a week to do a job.

I learned Power Query and didn’t look back.