Custom Keyboard Shortcuts (Revit Users)

• Custom Keyboard Shortcuts (Revit Users)

Posted by Troy DeGroot on July 16, 2021 at 8:52 pm

One muscle memory I can’t seem to shake from many years of AutoCAD and Revit is the ZE shortcut for Zoom Extents. I’m always typing it in Bluebeam and ending up with the Ellipse function activated. That’s because “Z” activates the Zoom tool, but then “E” quickly starts Ellipse before any zooming is done. Quick fix it took me too long to fix.

• Revu > Keyboard Shortcuts > Commands
    • Search for “Fit Page”
    • Update the Shortcut to “Z”

Using the mouse scroll wheel, I kinda feel the Zoom Tool is obsolete. So I allowed it to Reassign.

Full disclosure, I still end up in the Ellipse tool, but at least it zoomed to fit the screen. My other habit from CAD and Revit is the ESC key! 😂

What modifications are you using with keyboard shortcuts?

Troy DeGroot replied 2 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • David Cutler

July 19, 2021 at 7:04 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

One that I’ve been meaning to look into is setting the space bar to match the escape key – or some other method of canceling the current tool. When I had done work in Trimble Sketchup previously this was a keyboard shortcut that I used a lot. While the escape key certainly works, the space bar is more conveniently placed and a larger target.

• Andrew Veggian

July 21, 2021 at 9:42 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt UC2 Brainery Orange Belt Rank

I typically like to use full-screen crosshairs when I’m doing takeoffs, but they can be annoying when reading text documents so I’m constantly toggling them on and off. I’ve set the shortcut to oemtilde (the key right above tab). I never actually use the keyboard shortcut since I’ve programmed that to one of the buttons on my mouse.

Troy, for zoom extents I double-click the scroll wheel on my mouse (this is a default setting).

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      July 21, 2021 at 10:17 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

I think with my basic cheap mouse I don’t get a consistent double-click action, so it doesn’t work half the time. I do like and prefer that method however.

• Roye Arie

July 21, 2021 at 10:46 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt UC2 Brainery Orange Belt Rank

Stupid question, and maybe I should try this instead of typing, but getting too late now.

How is going through the steps you listed, different than typing Ctrl+9? Or is it the same, just a single key vs. a combination of two keys?

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
      July 21, 2021 at 1:33 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

” but getting too late now.” 🤣

One key is a reason for sure, but it’s more customizing Revu to react to my muscle memory habits.