Good Practices For Multiple Profiles

• Good Practices For Multiple Profiles

Posted by Vince French on May 11, 2022 at 12:22 am

Has anyone got any tips on good or even best practices for when a user has multiple profiles?

I now have several profiles now but even though I may start out measuring a drawing with the correct one, somehow the wrong custom columns, etc. can be applied at a later stage.

This can be fixed by importing the correct columns again but gets a bit frustrating after a while! 😫

Can you lock a profile to a drawing after the first save?

Any help will be much appreciated as always!

David Cutler replied 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • David Cutler

May 11, 2022 at 7:26 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

I haven’t tried using multiple profiles yet @Vince – Now you have me worried that I’d loose the information from my custom columns.

That actually brings to mind a somewhat related question – if you have a tool that uses a custom column, but that column isn’t displayed in your markup list, does the program continue to capture that data? Kinda one of those “if a tree falls in the woods and there isn’t anyone there to see it does it make a sound” questions.🙂

• Vince French

May 11, 2022 at 10:19 am

I haven’t lost any information yet @David Cutler .

I’ve also done a load of mark-ups without realising that I was in the wrong profile and when I imported the correct columns all of the information that I needed was there. This however was probably something to do with the same tools being in two different tool sets e.g. oversite areas are in both my foundations and external works profiles.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    May 11, 2022 at 10:50 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Great conversation guys!

The data should still compile with the markups even if the custom columns are not loaded. If the columns are choice or manually entered, those fields wouldn’t be available. I would test.

If you make sure you open the document for the first time with the correct Profile, the columns will remain in the file.

The Profile will bring the custom columns into fresh documents, however if the document is not “fresh” and already has custom columns, those will be current. The custom columns live in the document.

With all the custom profiles and toolsets I build for customers, you can imagine I have to juggle things all the time. For a best practice, I create a sub-folder for each customer within the default Profile/Toolset folder. This creates a few extra steps when switching from one to another, but it keeps the profile and all the associated toolsets together in one location rather than pilling hundreds of them into the root folder. This also makes it easy to zip and share a profile and all the toolsets.

Also, something I’ve started doing is naming the toolset how I want it to display within the Tool Chest, but when naming the actual btx file I add the customer name in front of the toolset name, this way they all group together, and it’s clear where they belong.

Sorry for the long feedback, several ideas for you guys to chew on. 🤣

• Vince French

May 11, 2022 at 11:11 am

It sounds like you need to do a blog on the subject @troy-degroot !😆

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
        May 11, 2022 at 12:36 pm
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

You might be right. 😁

• David Cutler

May 12, 2022 at 7:17 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III