Importing custom measurement tools

Tagged: , ,

• Importing custom measurement tools

Posted by David Cutler on May 7, 2021 at 10:15 am

We have about 1,450 “Pay Items” in our estimating program. I’ve exported these items into Excel so that I have a quick reference document and I highlight them as I create custom tools in Bluebeam in an effort to keep track of which ones I’ve setup. Each of these custom tools has a standard Subject and Label field along with custom “Item”, “Description” and “Unit of Measure” values that I need for my export. Each time I need to take off something that I haven’t before I create a new custom tool. While the process is time consuming I look at it as an investment in future efficiency. Note that in some cases I also need to change the Measurement Properties from Square Feet to Square Yards.

I watched the video on how to create custom Punch Symbols that you posted in the Punch Walk Forum @troy (which was great BTW). Is there a way to do the same with measurement tools?

David Cutler replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    May 7, 2021 at 12:02 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Thanks, @david-cutler the basic Punch tool import is the only one I’m aware of.. What exactly are you wanting to create with an import?

• David Cutler

May 7, 2021 at 12:36 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

I was afraid that you would say that @troydegroot 🙂

Ideally I would setup custom tools for each of our pay items. Some are counts – “Sanitary Manhole” for example. Others are lengths – “Concrete Curb”. Some are areas – “Fine Grade Subgrade”. I create them on the fly now as I need them, wondering if there might be a way of automating the process. Might be time to hire a summer intern..

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
        May 7, 2021 at 1:21 pm
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

This would be difficult @david-cutler because each one transfers to a different type of measurement tool. The Punch Key import works because they all get the same simple symbol. You’re doing it exactly the way I would do it. I’m not sure if you are incorporating Layers or not, I like to include those everytime also so I can hide some of the clutter.

• David Cutler

May 10, 2021 at 6:48 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Thank you for your response @troydegroot . I’ll have to look into layers more as I haven’t used them much in Bluebeam, yet…