Polylength v. Perimeter

• Polylength v. Perimeter

Posted by Doug McLean on October 25, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Something clicked today and I came up with a better reason for using a Polylength tool over a Perimeter tool.

We use these tools to do takeoff for stuff like fillers, Plant on Gables, panels that aren’t elevated, soffit panels etc…
    Well our newbie was doing some markups and I noticed that she was clicking, holding and dragging. (Nothing wrong with that).

But with a Perimeter tool, that will create a rectangle. To use the tool the way we intended it to be used, you need to click, release, drag, double click… and it was confusing her a bit.

Polylength won’t allow you to do anything but a line, which is what we need to tool to be.

Something to consider when deciding if you want to use a Polylength tool or a Perimeter tool when you’re creating tools.

Doug McLean replied 1 year, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Vince French

October 26, 2022 at 1:11 am

@Doug it’s always interesting to see someone else use Revu – even if they have only been doing this for five minutes. I guess most of us are self-taught and, unless someone shows us a different way or questions what we are doing, we just carry on in our old ways.

I hadn’t thought or looked at this but fortunately my custom tools are all created using the perimeter tool as I often use the click and drag method for measuring the foundations of houses. Measuring say 200 plots without this would take considerably longer.

I guess the issue with the polylength would be that it needs two distinct ends in order to offer the facility of adding the rise / drop measurements as well.

• David Cutler

October 26, 2022 at 7:54 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Most of our “Legacy” takeoff tools are Perimeter Measurements. I’m not sure why as they were setup by my predecessor. As I’m updating tools I’m converting them to Polylengths. One of the reasons I prefer the Polylengths is the ability to use a “Rise/Drop” value – typically we end our service connections 5 foot outside of the houseline. Using a “-5” value in the Rise/Drop allows me to extend the markup all the way to the wall rather than pulling the markup to the line, looking at the measurement and then dragging it back 5 ft. Another bonus of this setup is when the client changes their mind and wants us to go 5 foot inside the building I can select all of the service measurements at once change my Rise/Drop to +5 to get an updated quantity!

One note is that for some reason Revu will not allow you to type in a negative value into the Rise/Drop box. The work around is to type “-5” in another spot – say in a text box for example – and then copy/paste it into the Rise/Drop box.

• Doug McLean

October 26, 2022 at 10:51 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

Oh don’t get me wrong, both tools have there place.
    The Polylength tool just error proofs the process in this case, as we just want a line.