Repeatable cutout tool?

• Repeatable cutout tool?

Posted by David Cutler on May 23, 2022 at 1:41 pm

One of my co-workers stumped me earlier today. He is pricing the mill and overlay of the asphalt paving in a shopping center. He had traced the perimeter of the lot to obtain the square yardage, but was looking for a simple way to deduct the islands from the area that he had already measured. He was aware of the “Polygon Cutout” tool, but was looking for something that was repeatable as the islands are all the same size.

Does anyone have a simple way to repeat cutouts in a polygon measurement? Perhaps we need a “Cookie Cutter” tool?

Vince replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Vince

May 23, 2022 at 2:11 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Orange Belt IIII

Hi @David Cutler

Just click on the cut-out and press CTRL then drag the new cut-out to wherever you need it placed.

Or you can copy & paste the cut out but then you will probably have to move it to the correct place once you have done the pasting.

• David Cutler

May 24, 2022 at 7:52 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Purple Belt IIII

That’s AWSOME @Vince !

Thank you for posting this. I never imagined that you would be able to grab a boundary in that way and copy the boundary. Since the cutout doesn’t have it’s own “properties” I didn’t expect that Revu would see it as a “duplicatable” markup.

Experimenting with this a bit here’s another trick to know. If you fill your cutout with another area markup and then right click on that fill in and change the order so that it is “in the back” your cutout is selectable as you noted above for coping.

• Vince

May 24, 2022 at 9:32 am

Only found this one a few weeks ago myself @David Cutler as I was actually trying to do something else! 😂

• David Cutler

May 24, 2022 at 9:38 am
          Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Purple Belt IIII

Nothing wrong with learning something new by “accident”. Seems as if I’ve heard that that is how vulcanization of rubber was discovered. That’s turned out to be pretty useful over the years….🙂

• Vince

May 24, 2022 at 10:11 am

Maybe I need to try and have a few more accidents and then I might come up with something useful!