Revu Snapshot tool vs. Snip & Sketch Tool

• Revu Snapshot tool vs. Snip & Sketch Tool

Posted by David Cutler on July 19, 2021 at 3:26 pm

Historically I’ve used the Windows “Snip & Sketch Tool” (Window-Shift-S) when I wanted to capture part of a PDF to use somewhere else – copying a section view to paste onto a plan view for example. Today I tried the Revu “Snapshot” tool and found a few differences:

1. “Snip & Sketch” captures exactly what you see on the screen. “Snapshot” captures only the linework. If you want to have a white background with a Snapshot you need to set the background to white after you paste your snapshot.

2. “Snapshot” doesn’t have to be a rectangle. I stumbled onto this by mistake – once you select the tool if you click and drag you will select a box, if you just click Revu creates a poly line type selection area. I found this works well if you are trying to capture a detail that is nested in with other details.

3. The resolution appears to be better with “Snapshot”.

What does everyone else use? Do you have preferences?

David Cutler replied 2 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    July 19, 2021 at 3:47 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Snapshot tool 100% of the time. Because it only takes the linework with a transparent background, it works great for creating custom markup tools from existing drawing content. Great post David!

• Andrew Veggian

July 21, 2021 at 9:33 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt UC2 Brainery Orange Belt Rank

Don’t forget that the Preferences menu has some options to customize the Snapshot tool also. Go to Revu>Preferences>Tools>Markup and you’ll have these options:

• Roye Arie

July 21, 2021 at 10:43 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Orange Belt UC2 Brainery Orange Belt Rank

I use “Snapshot” all the time. I like the fact that I can manipulate the pasted image, so if you want to overlay it and compare to another image you can change the setting to “multiply” which makes the areas between the lines more transparent to what’s “underneath” it, and you can change the color of the lines on the “Snapshot” image.

(I don’t think that when the Disable Line Weight is engaged selected the “Snapshot” recognizes that. I think it will paste the image with the original line weight.)

When you click Ctrl+Alt+C it will snapshot the whole page.

• David Cutler

July 30, 2021 at 11:55 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

I found another useful aspect of the Revu Snapshot tool – it allows you to “freeform” the boundaries of your capture. The Snip & Sketch tool is limited to a rectangular shape. The ability to freeform is handy as it allows you to minimize the collateral linework that can be captured if you are bound to a 4 sided rectangular caption.

• David Cutler

July 30, 2021 at 12:06 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Using the freeform function is easy, rather than clicking and holding the mouse button down while dragging to capture a rectangle simply select the tool and then click as many points as necessary to make your capture complete. The freeform capture works the same as a Polygon markup where once you have 3 points established you can tap Enter and Revu will close the shape back to your first selected point.