Stumbled onto this one today

Tagged: 

• Stumbled onto this one today

Posted by David Cutler on May 31, 2024 at 2:00 pm

Working my way through a 462 page “Project Manual” this afternoon with you guessed it, zero bookmarks – and no consistency in how it is formatted that would allow for auto bookmark generation. A few of the pages are even scans of documents that were printed from web pages in 2010!

Anyway, to help myself and others in the future I’m establishing bookmarks as I page through the document and I stumbled upon a trick that is making the process at least a bit less painful.

Basically, if you can select text, “TEMPORARY FACILITIES AND CONTROLS” for example, right click after doing so and select “add bookmark” and it creates a bookmark using the selected text! In this case I’m adding the “01 5000” manually as the trick doesn’t appear to work with text on 2 lines.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work on the scans of the prints form 2010….

Vince replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    May 31, 2024 at 2:05 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II UC2 Brainery Brown Belt II

Did you run OCR to see if it would fix the scans?

Love the tip, and maybe my favorite part is when you say you’re helping those downstream. Many don’t think that way, but it’s always something I teach.

Thanks @David Cutler

• Isaac Harned

May 31, 2024 at 2:27 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt II UC2 Brainery Purple Belt II

This is super cool, might have to use this! Thank you David!

• David Cutler

June 7, 2024 at 10:27 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Brown Belt IIII

Just used this to add bookmarks to a 15 page “scope” document and it worked slick! Will be much easier to find the sections that I’m looking for in the future!🙂

• Vince

June 10, 2024 at 4:42 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

Great stuff @David Cutler !