Tricks for trimming markups

• Tricks for trimming markups

Posted by David Cutler on April 22, 2021 at 6:04 am

Does anyone have a good tip for how to trim existing markups? I’m working on a subdivision takeoff with 300 units that each have a water and sewer connection so 600 markups. I took them off to a point 5 foot away from the building line, my client is now asking that I only include installation to 5 foot behind sidewalk.

I’ve thought about drawing a 5 ft wide rectangle next to the sidewalk and then pulling my control point back to the 5 ft offset for each – but this is 600 + clicks!

What would be slick is if there was a way of adding a “trimming line” and then be able to select multiple “tails” to delete.

Any suggestions from the Brainery?

David Cutler replied 3 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    April 22, 2021 at 11:34 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

I’m not sure how to do that the best way, if at all. You could try to draw a line to all the current endpoints. then draw a different line to scale, 5′-0″ off. Then maybe as you nudge the line over the connected lines will follow….. Or just create a custom column for the setback, give a value of 5′-0″ and have it automatically subtract 5′ from every length..

• David Cutler

April 22, 2021 at 7:52 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

Thank you Troy. Unfortunately my reduction isn’t consistent so I think I need to adjust each markup.

What I’ve come up with at this point is to draw a 2.5 ft radius circle that I’m dropping on the markup so one side is at the edge of the sidewalk, the other side is then 5 ft behind the sidewalk. Next I’m grabbing the end of my existing markup and dragging it back to the edge of the circle.

I’m copying the circle multiple times and leaving one at each unit. I plan on selecting them all on the markup list and then using “paste in place” (CTRL+SHIFT+V) (thank you @lizlarsen !) to paste them onto my water takeoff page and then repeat the endpoint move as described above.

I started with a 5 Ft square, but found I needed to rotate it to get an accurate offset. The circle eliminates this issue.

I’m open to suggestions for the next time!