Working with layers from design software

Tagged: , ,

• Working with layers from design software

Posted by David Cutler on September 30, 2021 at 2:19 pm

I stumbled onto an amazing tool today for working with congested drawings that have layers! I knew that I could turn layers off/on to reduce clutter. What I didn’t know is that you can “Isolate” a layer. What this means is that you can turn all of the layers off with the exception of the one that you selected. It’s really simple, just navigate to the Layers panel, right click on the layer that you want to see and then select “isolate”. Everything else magically disappears!

If you have your markups on a layer you can then turn them back on and see if you have missed anything! No more guessing what is on a layer, just isolate it and see exactly what is there.

David Cutler replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Vince French

October 2, 2021 at 1:30 am

I have started using the new layer configuration setting a lot more for engineering layouts. Declutter a drawing so that when you go out on site you can follow the info a lot more easily e.g. I don’t need to see fence lines / types when I’m interested in the drainage however being able to keep the retaining walls on there is helpful.

• David Cutler

October 4, 2021 at 7:40 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

That’s what I found with this drawing set Vince – too much information on one sheet. I’ve always struggled with deciphering the layer names that the designers use. Using the Isolate tool I will be able to clearly see what is on each layer. I might even re-name some of them so that I don’t have to keep guessing.