Hyperlinks from Excel with files on SharePoint

• Hyperlinks from Excel with files on SharePoint

Posted by Doug McLean on October 30, 2023 at 6:16 pm

Ok here’s one for those a lot smarter than me.

I have a workflow where I am able to link my Excel workbook directly to a page in a Set. When that file is stored on our server, it opens natively in Revu however…

When that file is stored on SharePoint, the file opens in my browser. This is not at all what I want to see.

Apparently, you can type in a code to get stuff to open in an MS Office program (

• ms-excel:ofe|u|https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/sitename/libraryname/***.xlsx) but I would need the one for Bluebeam

Do you think they have something like this?
    Anyone know it by chance??

Doug McLean replied 5 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    October 31, 2023 at 11:16 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Is it the same as setting your default viewer, only in the browser settings? If you’re storing everything in SharePoint the path would be different for the location of the file forcing it to use a browser default program….. Just thinking out loud. I almost moved on when you said “for those smarter than me”, but I thought maybe there was a chance I was at your level. 🤣

• Doug McLean

October 31, 2023 at 12:00 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

lol… I’m pretty sure its a SharePoint thing.
      If both my Excel file and my drawings are on the server, it opens fine in Revu, but when everything is on SharePoint, it opens in a browser window.

I’m thinking there has to be something because there is an option to Open in Revu if you open directly from SharePoint.

I’ll probably end up emailing the help desk at some point

• Isaac Harned

October 31, 2023 at 1:46 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

We are just now getting into sharepoint, but any chance it’s the library settings on Sharepoint itself?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-default-setting-to-open/28ced6a3-c2f5-4520-a6d4-c68a36e1e064

• Doug McLean

October 31, 2023 at 4:39 pm

yeah, that’s for O365 files… I’m already set up for that.

The issue is opening a PDF in Revu from a hyperlink in Excel online.

If the filepath is to our server, it opens fine in Revu, but because the filepath contains “SharePoint” it opens in a browser window.

• Isaac Harned

November 1, 2023 at 8:23 am

I am seeing the problem now in the forums, and apparently it is that way on purpose, with microsoft having no intent on changing the way it operates. I have tried to find direct program calls before for Revu with no luck, Best I could find was definitely the long way around and I can imagine would nto work for everyone settings wise as it forces a download on click every time:

https://www.sharepointdiary.com/2020/05/sharepoint-online-link-to-document-download-instead-of-open.html

https://www.winability.com/how-to-stop-microsoft-edge-from-hijacking-pdf-files/

• Isaac Harned

November 1, 2023 at 8:25 am
          • Doug McLean

November 1, 2023 at 10:00 am

yeah, I saw the force download thing too.

I’m thinking Bluebeam has a code that they use in the SharePoint integration.
            Are they willing to share that code though, that is the question