Lost Tool Chests when changing profiles

• Lost Tool Chests when changing profiles

Posted by David Cutler on July 3, 2024 at 1:31 pm

Might have really made a mistake here. Was attempting to save my current profile from my desktop machine so that I could upload it to my laptop. While doing this I changed profiles on my desktop machine. I also renamed the profile. Now a bunch of my most recently added tool chest appear to be gone – at least they don’t show on any of my profiles.

I’m sure there are a bunch of “best practices” that I haven’t been following, but I’m a bit frustrated with myself over this one.

Any suggestions?

David Cutler replied 3 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • David Cutler

July 3, 2024 at 3:41 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Score 1 for our IT Consultant – he was able to recover everything from a backup! Game on!

Now that everything is right in the world I’ve gone ahead and exported all of my toolboxes to a folder on our shared drive. By the way, why is it that you have to do this with each one individually rather than having the ability to select them all at once????

Probably redundant, but at least I know where they are and how to get them when I mess up again! 🙂

• Doug McLean

July 3, 2024 at 4:49 pm
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt IIII UC2 Brainery Blue Belt IIII

I set my Estimating team up with Shared Tool chests and what a difference its making.
      The other cool advantage, you can accidently edit one because its locked out.

• David Cutler

July 3, 2024 at 6:05 pm
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Advanced Brown Belt Rank

I think this one of the things I need to improve with my system – consistency. Currently my tool chests are mapped to at least 2, maybe 3, different locations and are generally left unlocked. Saving them to one central location and keeping them locked would be a good first step.

I also want to get back to creating “Tool Chest” PDFs that will allow me to change the settings for multiple tools at the same time, rather than individually.

• Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    July 3, 2024 at 8:43 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

It might be a good time to go to the Admin section of the Preferences and save a backup. And take the FREE Settings and Preferences digital course. 🤣

• David Cutler

July 4, 2024 at 5:28 pm

The class is definitely on my to do list @troy-degroot , just have a few work related items on the list ahead of it… 😎