Layers

• Posted by Roye Arie on April 19, 2023 at 9:48 am

Hey all! The other day I was able to open someone’s eyes regarding usage of layers.

Being contract administrator I use a lot of overlays so are more simple and some are complex. I talked to one of our spec writers who is an experienced Architect (yes, in this case he is AIA, so not just calling him an Architect, I know some people are sensitive about it) about my usage of layers, mainly in regards to reviewing wall panels, precast, trusses, structural steel, etc…

He was set in his mind that it’s better to request a RVT or DWG files and bring them to our model. Yes, there are some advantages to that, but there are many drawbacks.

I asked him to come to my workstation to show him what I’ve been doing, and he was shocked at the easy of toggling between layers and the rules I added to the file.

Are you using layers on a regular basis?

Isaac Harned replied 11 months, 4 weeks ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Vince French

April 19, 2023 at 10:25 am

I’m happily using layers now that the ‘disappearing layers’ glitch has been fixed.

My use is mainly to do with how many markups I’m applying as, drawings would often just be a total mess if some layers weren’t turned off.

The other thing that I use layers for is another piece of information that can be used in Power Query after the markup list has been exported. The information is there so you might as well use it.

• Doug McLean

April 20, 2023 at 1:42 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

Layers are something I’m just opening our team up to in Revu. With most of our people familiar with ACAD layers, this isn’t too hard to explain, its more about knowing what they can do.
    With any luck, more and more people are going to start to see the benefits.

• Isaac Harned

April 26, 2023 at 10:02 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

We use layers, but in a couple of outlying workflows from the rest of the industry. Much of what we do is marking up an already crowded print, so having the ability to shut some of those off can be very useful.

We also have forms where we activate / deactivate certain charts on the page (using scripted dropdowns) depending on testing requirements, giving the field some flexibility for the annual verifications we go through.

I do wish more mechanical pdfs were distributed with the layers still active. Most of that metadata is usually gone when we get it.

• David Cutler

April 26, 2023 at 10:14 am
      Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III UC2 Brainery Brown Belt III

I celebrate when I receive a drawing package with layers to work from, then cuss a bit as I try to decipher the naming conventions!

How exactly does someone come up with “notes|notes$0gennotes$0$0DETAIL” as a layer name and remember what it means?

In case you couldn’t guess this layer has the standard “call before you dig” note block on it. 😎

Have you ever gone back to a designer and requested a PDF with the layers available from a designer @isaac-harned ?

• Isaac Harned

April 26, 2023 at 10:24 am
        Rank: UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I UC2 Brainery Purple Belt I

I have not, as we would also have to get every revision that way and at this moment, it’s not worth the constant struggle with various document departments.

Hopefully one day it’s just a standard