Button actions and Google Drive

Tagged: 

• Button actions and Google Drive

Posted by Chad Czerwinski on March 3, 2021 at 11:33 pm

I have just created a dashboard for some trustee members at my church to use some shared files on a Google Drive server. I created the Dashboard on my local computer and have a few text boxes and images where I just used the hyperlink function to link to some other websites. For the majority of the dashboard I used the button funciton from the Extreme version. Once they were finished I used the add action tool and added the link to the drive folder associated with that particular button. When I was all finished I flattened the document. I uploaded the pdf to main folder. Once it is opened in a tab window the only links that work are the hyperlinks that I stretched over the top of my markups. Whether they were images or textboxes was irrelevant. None of the button actions are clickable. My only other choice was to have team members open the document in whatever pdf viewer they have. I was trying to make it simple and just let the dashboard “live” where the rest of the files were at.

Now to the crux of my question. Do the button hyperlinks not work outside of a pdf viewer? At the end of the day I suppose I could go back and delete all of the Add Action hyperlinks and not use the “buttons” and just overlay the hyperlink function over everything.

Thanks

Chad Czerwinski replied 3 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Troy DeGroot

Organizer
    March 4, 2021 at 6:16 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Brown Belt UC2 Brainery Advanced Brown Belt Rank

Chad, I haven’t typically used Buttons, so I’m not an expert, but it seems I’m having the same issue with the hyperlinks not working. If you decide to rebuild things, don’t erase anything and start over, just create the hyperlink rectangle over the button like you did the other text boxes.

• Chad Czerwinski

March 4, 2021 at 10:42 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt II UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt II

Well too late for that. Ha. I made a copy and already deleted all those “actions” and added the hyperlinks. Not the end of the world. It wasn’t that dynamic of a dashboard. TBH storing a pdf in Google Drive is not as aesthecially pleasing to look at in a web tab as it is in Bluebeam. But now I will have some questions for a new quandry. Guess it will require a new post. 🙂

• Doug McLean

March 9, 2021 at 4:14 am
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II UC2 Brainery Blue Belt II

Try adding an action using the Forms panel.

Once your button is selected, open you Properties Tab and scroll down. Right at the bottom should be a place where you can add an action.

• Chad Czerwinski

March 9, 2021 at 2:42 pm
    Rank: UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt II UC2 Brainery Yellow Belt II

Thanks for the response Doug.

I just wasn’t clear enough in my description of my steps. I did use the forms panel and the properties tab to add an action. It was only when I skipped the forms functions and used the hyperlinks that I could get the whole thing to work. I also went back and checked to see if before I flattend my dashboard the box to flatten form fields was unchecked. Like I mentioned before this is probably NOT going to happen again as most of us view our pdf’s in something other than a web tab in google drive. It works everywhere else I tried to open the document.